• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

PSUHoffman making a couple of very good points on why he's concerned that this next system will NOT come north - he's not saying it won't, but a couple of things that are happening now on models are giving him pause:

1) The SW is trending faster and thus less spacing out in front

2) The NS system over New England is trending stronger and south, which is flattening the flow and not allowing for ridging 

Just something to keep in mind - it is totally possible that we lose out to the DC crew once again. 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

PSUHoffman making a couple of very good points on why he's concerned that this next system will NOT come north - he's not saying it won't, but a couple of things that are happening now on models are giving him pause:

2) The NS system over New England is trending stronger and south, which is flattening the flow and not allowing for ridging 

Just something to keep in mind - it is totally possible that we lose out to the DC crew once again. 

Plus we have 8 months of storms not coming north.  

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Kind of like the Caps beating the Fly Boys? :whistle:

Bob Chill was high on someone getting the  Miller B middle finger this AM. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pawatch said:

I actually got a stoker coal stove which burns rice coal.

A lot less work. 

Stoker coal stove brings back a bad memory for me. Am sure what I experienced was due to an old unit probably improperly maintained. But I was living in an old house with a bunch of young hippies in Steamboat and woke up during the night with the house full of smoke from the coal furnace. The fire had somehow jumped to the stoker belt. Will never forget that smell. Probably lucky I woke up.

Damn I miss that Steamboat winter and the snow! This was before Steamboat became a big-time resort and they didn’t plow the streets to the pavement. Remember a big horse drawn sleigh pulled a Christmas tree through town. Still pretty much a cow town with a ski jump back then. The resort was just being constructed and I was working in construction. Those were the days!

Enough reminiscing. Sorry to go OT.

• Like 1

Euro is kind of meh.  Taking the entire suite of guidance into consideration, I'm kind of leaning towards a scenario similar to yesterday with the heaviest totals just to our south, albeit not quite as extreme on the high end.  The one crucial difference for us this time is that the column looks fairly saturated, so I don't think we'll have any of the dry air issues that plagued us last time.  So in that sense, I do think most of the forum will see at least a couple inches.  I'd call that a win, to say nothing of some northward nudging that could yet take place.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

I’d be okay with 2-3” of snow from this. Providing it’s all snow.

Call me crazy, but I only count certain types of snow events as actual winter storms/events. It has to be 2” or more and can’t end as sleet, ice, or rain. If it doesn’t match that criteria, it never happened.

Understandable.  For me I am thinking if less than 3", Kuch or 10:1, its not much of an event. 

4 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

I’d be okay with 2-3” of snow from this. Providing it’s all snow.

Call me crazy, but I only count certain types of snow events as actual winter storms/events. It has to be 2” or more and can’t end as sleet, ice, or rain. If it doesn’t match that criteria, it never happened.

I sort of agree with this, but there are exceptions...

...like March 1993 when I had 17" of snow and 6" of sleet. THAT was something that definitely happened. :) 

8 hours ago, Festus said:

From the semi but not totally useless department, today is the latest sunrise around these parts.

And to really wow your friends, today is also coincidentally Earth's closest orbital distance to the sun.

I love this kind of info. Thanks for sharing it. Someone (was it you?) also recently linked to an article explaining why the earliest sunset occurs a week or two *before* the winter solstice. I think that same article also mentioned that the latest sunrise was a week or two after the solstice. Good stuff. 

• Like 1