• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Widespread Snow Potential January 16th to January 18th

sferic

One last reference to the volcano, only because I don't think the banter thread is going to get a lot of action and this is time sensitive...

...check this out..

https://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/basicLooper.pl?category=goeswestabifulldisk&regex=10p35um&title=GOES-West ABI Full Disk - 10.35 um - Band 13&time_drop=show

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like Niagra falls region is where I’ll be staying. Can’t leave until tomorrow morning, about a 6 hour drive, but hopefully I can beat out the snow. Need to grab new tires and get an oil change and then we’re out. Really hoping to pull 18+, it’ll be close I think. I’m just as excited for the few hours of dumpage from that deform band before it lifts out. I told myself During the summer that I would chase towards the lakes this winter, didn’t realize it would be a synoptic event.

Question, what kind of snow cover does region currently have? 

• Weenie 2

14 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

One last reference to the volcano, only because I don't think the banter thread is going to get a lot of action and this is time sensitive...

...check this out..

https://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/basicLooper.pl?category=goeswestabifulldisk&regex=10p35um&title=GOES-West ABI Full Disk - 10.35 um - Band 13&time_drop=show

That is insane. 
seems like this should be a bigger story globally. 

1 minute ago, Heisy said:

Looks like Niagra falls region is where I’ll be staying. Can’t leave until tomorrow morning, about a 6 hour drive, but hopefully I can beat out the snow. Need to grab new tires and get an oil change and then we’re out. Really hoping to pull 18+, it’ll be close I think. I’m just as excited for the few hours of dumpage from that deform band before it lifts out. I told myself During the summer that I would chase towards the lakes this winter, didn’t realize it would be a synoptic event.

Closer to lake ontario shore the more. Getting so lake snow in roc at the moment.

5 minutes ago, Heisy said:

ATM the Niagara frontier has anywhere from bare ground to a few, crunchy inches. This will change substantially around midnight Monday am to the midday Monday when the commahead is expected to park itself at the pivot point and deliver hours of heavy snow. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Seems like the best area to be. If the deformation band hooks up with a little enhancement you could see some really special rates. 2”/hour. Which is great for synoptic. I doubt you’ll have any difficulties finding hotels so if need be you could move a little east. West is problematic due to the border. But I really don’t see this going any further west.

Take lots of pics and keep us updated. Have fun bro! That’s awesome.

19 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Good call!  Like Dave said, you can shoot east easily if the heaviest stuff sets up closer to Rochester. Not sure how familiar you are with the area…Besides the obvious attraction at Niagara Falls, Lewiston is a great spot to visit just 10 minutes or so away. Quaint village with coffee house/brewery and a place called Artpark with trails along the Niagara River gorge. If you want room to spread out and walk around or get a snowstorm experience along the shore of Lake Ontario, head to Wilson Tuscorara State Park, 15-20 minutes from NF. If you get there while it’s clear on Sunday you can see the Toronto skyline (usually) across the lake. Fantastic brewery in Wilson too.  Happy chasing!!

14 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

As Tim pointed out. Some of the 6z suite is showing a colder column. I think some of this is dynamic cooling on the NW quadrant. Right over WNY. Buffalo and Rochester say, ‘what sleet’. image.thumb.png.1e9d6b2872132fb4dd49e95ff7c0ab34.png

except, the warm air is above 850 as well. H7 would be sleet in roch or very close to it with -3. At the very least it would cut down ratios big time with heavy riming 

rgem-all-neng-t700-2420800.png

5 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

except, the warm air is above 850 as well. H7 would be sleet in roch or very close to it with -3. At the very least it would cut down ratios big time with heavy riming 

rgem-all-neng-t700-2420800.png

I find it a little odd this layer remains the same temp from the coast to the lakes without dropping off at all.