• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Widespread Snow Potential January 16th to January 18th

sferic

There seem to have been a lot of instances over the past few years where we hit very cold temps (say below zero) and then rain a day later.  It has happened enough that I find myself seeing a very cold forecast, then skeptically looking beyond to see what storm is going to pump warm air up.  It happened last Sunday and is happening again this Sunday/Monday.  Fascinating and infuriating all at the same time….

21 minutes ago, Buckeyes_Suck said:

Warning hoisted for 12-18 in WNY :wub:

I read the AFD about 20 minutes ago and it’s just incredible. The comma head will be overhead Monday for several hours until the intensity drops as the system moves NE. They stated there is a chance someone in that area could exceed 18” during that time. Really exciting read. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Like I had said odd to have such warm layers wrapped around a deepening low that far to nw of system. But I am just a novice.

It's basically because you have closed lows all away from the surface to at least h500, already established in the deep south... Warm air at many of these levels basically circulates around the storm,  And transfers that warmth northward.

Most East Coast storms that provide the goods for us in the northeast, start closing off around around the  Mid Atlantic States.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3