Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Widespread Snow Potential January 16th to January 18th

sferic

4 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

from what I'm seeing at h5, can't see the gfs going east this run, might tick nw again 

Models def seem to have been underestimating that northern stream wave. Seems to be getting stronger and faster with each run and yanking this thing even further west. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah I don't get why snow depth people wouldn't want sleet. It will stick around longer than any snow will.

As I said a couple days ago, sleetpacks are incredible in the durability...and the huge piles it makes when plowed. However, it takes forever for sleet to amount to anything. With the dryslot and precip. "minima" over CNY, not sure how much sleet we would be able to get. Plus, snow from a visual perspective, is so much more enjoyable to watch fall. Sleet is also much more difficult for winter recreation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

As I said a couple days ago, sleetpacks are incredible in the durability...and the huge piles it makes when plowed. However, it takes forever for sleet to amount to anything. With the dryslot and precip. "minima" over CNY, not sure how much sleet we would be able to get. Plus, snow from a visual perspective, is so much more enjoyable to watch fall. Sleet is also much more difficult for winter recreation.

1" qpf is 3" sleet i believe. I still would sell on anything less than 5" for your area with sleet/snow totals. I mean if this keeps back nw, dif story, but as of now thats what I would say. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

1" qpf is 3" sleet i believe. I still would sell on anything less than 5" for your area with sleet/snow totals. I mean if this keeps back nw, dif story, but as of now thats what I would say. 

Thanks for the input. It's so strange not knowing what precip. type it's going to be considering the location of the low. But have to think the taint is going to ruin the snow fun with those warm levels we've been discussing.

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

Thanks for the input. It's so strange not knowing what precip. type it's going to be considering the location of the low. But have to think the taint is going to ruin the snow fun with those warm levels we've been discussing.

O yea, I'm expecting IP here as well. But still also thinking syr and here manages 1-3 on frontside then 1-2 on back side then whatever sleet falls 

13 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Toronto folk. They usually post in the great lake section but I think their climo is closer to ours, at least geographically. I mean they are an hour drive from Buffalo. They are more than welcome to post here!

Thank you. Yes, and this storm looks to impact Toronto, Buffalo, and Rochester much more than Detroit or Chicago. It's an unusual set up, that's for sure.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

Thank you. Yes, and this storm looks to impact Toronto, Buffalo, and Rochester much more than Detroit or Chicago. It's an unusual set up, that's for sure.

Toronto climate and even to a degree buffalo's climate is almost more Midwest. Rochester east start to be more a north east climate

• Like 1