Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Widespread Snow Potential January 16th to January 18th

sferic

10 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Obviously a terrible run. But it’s the NAM and we have 48 hours to revert or salvage something. I’ll be waiting on the GFS that has been pretty solid for days now to see if the NAM truly sniffed out a ‘game changer’ or just the NAM being the NAM. 

I can't count the number of times back in the day an off hour NAM run a couple days before a coastal would suck me back into a storm by a rotting a def. band over me, while all other guidance (and by that measure, all training, knowledge, and good sense) had it well south and east of me.  Right now, some weenie 100 miles north of Toronto is experiencing the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

A question I have for one of the Mets or anyone more knowledgeable than me… why do the models seem to be hinting at mixing under the “deformation band” ? I know that there’s a warm layer around 850 mb causing the mixing but isn’t the deformation zone usually where you find dynamic cooling and the best snow growth thus snowfall rates? Just don’t ever recall seeing a modeled deformation band be all sleet like this before while N and S of the band remains snow according to these algorithms. Is it because of the strong SE flow right off the Atlantic “funneling” or focusing the warm air into that area because that’s where the flow is strongest? Just a very unique situation I can’t ever recall. 

I fell like this setup has happened before in WNY.  Sometime in the 2011 12 13's?  Big synoptic storm predicted around 18" right up to the start of the event.  Ended up being a sleet bomb surprise killed the snowfall, had 3-4" of just solid sleet ice pellets, heavy has hell and maybe 2" of snow on top.  NAM and even RGEM are throwing a lot of warmer air back our way, still looks to hold snow in WNY but another blip adding to this storm.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

A question I have for one of the Mets or anyone more knowledgeable than me… why do the models seem to be hinting at mixing under the “deformation band” ? I know that there’s a warm layer around 850 mb causing the mixing but isn’t the deformation zone usually where you find dynamic cooling and the best snow growth this snowfall rates? Just don’t ever recall seeing a modeled deformation band be all sleet like this before while N and S of the band remains snow according to these algorithms. Is it because of the strong SE flow right off the Atlantic “funneling” or focusing the warm air into that area because that’s where the flow is strongest? Just a very unique situation I can’t ever recall. 

my guess would be, kind of what you're saying, the dynamics are bringing the warmer aloft downward 

2 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

A question I have for one of the Mets or anyone more knowledgeable than me… why do the models seem to be hinting at mixing under the “deformation band” ? I know that there’s a warm layer around 850 mb causing the mixing but isn’t the deformation zone usually where you find dynamic cooling and the best snow growth this snowfall rates? Just don’t ever recall seeing a modeled deformation band be all sleet like this before while N and S of the band remains snow according to these algorithms. Is it because of the strong SE flow right off the Atlantic “funneling” or focusing the warm air into that area because that’s where the flow is strongest? Just a very unique situation I can’t ever recall. 

Well, there's a couple factors:

1) Pretty much, right on. The raging Southeasterly flow. This isn't a "Nor'easter" with cold air being pulled in for that dynamic cooling.

2) My presence.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Give me 4-6” front end thump follow by 2-3” of pack saving sleet and another 4-6” of fresh powder on top from the backside and I’d be through the moon. 

That’s the recipe for a bulletproof pack, especially with the Arctic hounds apparently being ready to frolic in the region a week from now. 

Who am I kidding…we’ll probably see a highly anomalous cutter after a monster storm scoots harmlessly out to sea…and an arctic blast finds a way to evacuate just in time for the apps runner. Oh wait. Am I living in a time loop?

:lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3