Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Widespread Snow Potential January 16th to January 18th

sferic

3 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I always get mixed up which one it was, both those Marches were solid 

Sure was. We had 39.6 in Mar 2017 and 36.3 in Mar 2018 here at BGM. Mar 2018 saved the 2017-18 winter from being a top 10 dud for snowfall here, and actually ended up slightly above avg.

4 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Here's 0Z NAM, 850/700 and 1000/850 Thickness at h84. Arguably the warmest model attm.  Not really seeing a mix here in CNY. Refuced qpf yes with proximity to mid levels slot but these don't indicate PL/ZR for CNY.

Screenshot_20220113-235548_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220113-235634_Chrome.jpg

It's a brief uptick wrt 850mb temps at hR 81, it's gone by 84..

namconus_T850_neus_52 (1).png

2 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Here's 0Z NAM, 850/700 and 1000/850 Thickness at h84. Arguably the warmest model attm.  Not really seeing a mix here in CNY. Refuced qpf yes with proximity to mid levels but these don't indicate PL/ZR for CNY.

Unless this goes over bgm, any mixing if it does in syr would be brief. It doesn't though change the fact there will be some warm tongues aloft that won't be well aligned with good dendritic snow growth. Now if we get a ukmet type track different story. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

How much did you have in December 2020? Oh, wait..never mind. Don't answer. Please.

Ha...48.2... almost half the season total in 1.5 days. And enough to land 2020-21 winter in the top 10 for snowfall in what was one of the worst winters ever in the NE US.

1 minute ago, tombo82685 said:

I hate using the NAM, it may be overcooked. But any time you have a 64+knot southeast LLJ ripping your way, you will not have good snow ratios and def watch for warm layers. Thats a straight firehose off the atl

namconus_mslp_uv850_neus_53.png

you can also see why erie to roc is favored here too because they are in the ccb portion of the storm 

10 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I hate using the NAM, it may be overcooked. But any time you have a 64+knot southeast LLJ ripping your way, you will not have good snow ratios and def watch for warm layers. Thats a straight firehose off the atl

Yeah, that's what I was saying earlier...you have all that moist, mild air coming in on a southeasterly wind from the ocean.

18 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Impressive. Fortunately this isn't i95 that would torch within minutes in that setup. THKs tell most of the story.

24 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Impressive. Fortunately this isn't i95 that would torch within minutes in that setup. 

Just looked at 00Z NAM text output for KSYR... Between 78->84h 0.59" qpf.  At hr 84 the warmest temp in the column is at 800mb, -0.6C and UVV is positive (sinking air -> slotted).  So that would be 5-8" snow from 78-84 hrs b4 slotting a bit. Not sure after that.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Kevin Williams fb page. Local met in rochester

Screenshot_20220114-003444_Facebook.jpg

KW is the bomb. Loved listening to him on the way into work in am when he was on ROC NPR station. He was cancelled though, before being  cancelled was a thing.  I think the Marxists that run NPR couldn't tolerate him not gulping down ALL the global warming Kool Aid.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

KW is the bomb. Loved listening to him on the way into work in am when he was on ROC NPR station. He was cancelled though, before being  cancelled was a thing.  I think the Marxists that run NPR couldn't tolerate him not gulping down ALL the global warming Kool Aid.

Great forecaster. Big time nut. But probably best for the other page. ;)

16 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Just looked at 00Z NAM text output for KSYR... Between 78->84h 0.59" qpf.  At hr 84 the warmest temp in the column is at 800mb, -0.6C and UVV is positive (sinking air -> slotted).  So that would be 5-8" snow from 78-84 hrs b4 slotting a bit. Not sure after that.

Whats it show for roc at that time?