Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Widespread Snow Potential January 16th to January 18th

sferic

33 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Saw that. Not sure if we have any posters there but I feel their pain. 

That is usually overdone on the models for there.  It takes a rather strong easterly fetch to downslope them severely (Dec 92 is the only somewhat recent example of severe downsloping in the city).  In terms of climo, the typical areas of shadowing in ENY during nor-easters are in southern Washington County and Northern Rensselaer County.  The City of Albany itself, shadows more on a SW wind flow, which is unusual in nor'easters.  If this thing does cut west, depending on its orientation, I suppose it could happen.  That said, I do buy the lower totals.  I don't usually trust big amounts with the SLP tracking to our west.  Its usually an initial strong thump, then rather quick dryslotting/sleet/drizzle.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, vortmax said:

I'm waiting for BUF to get excited about it. Definitely has potential to be the bigger synoptic storm in quite some time.

KBUF and every TV met here is like "nor'easter, maybe a heavy snow, we might get brushed by it". Even the usual big hype ones like Cejka are like whatever so far. Weird for a synoptic storm with this potential.

1 minute ago, Leelee said:

KBUF and every TV met here is like "nor'easter, maybe a heavy snow, we might get brushed by it". Even the usual big hype ones like Cejka are like whatever so far. Weird for a synoptic storm with this potential.

I thought Buffalo Mets only got excited by 3 mile wide bands of ‘shedding mortal coil’

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Leelee said:

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Just watched channel 7 forecast and Andy Parker said if everything goes right we could get as much as 6-10”. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we got 6-10” but to say if everything goes right we could see as MUCH as 6-10” seems very low. I feel like if this thing shifts around (which is highly likely as we get better sampling out west) and things shift East or west we could definitely be in for “only” 6-10”…

7 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Just watched channel 7 forecast and Andy Parker said if everything goes right we could get as much as 6-10”. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we got 6-10” but to say if everything goes right we could see as MUCH as 6-10” seems very low. I feel like if this thing shifts around (which is highly likely as we get better sampling out west) and things shift East or west we could definitely be in for “only” 6-10”…

All these public Mets and NWS Staff have all been burned before...and there's always tomorrow to hype the bejesus out of it...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Leelee said:

Todd was much more on top of it tonight at 7. He even mentioned not trying to scare anyone this far out but said it looks good for a widespread foot for WNY and the potential for an area within to double that. For Todd that’s as hyped as you’ll see. As for Mike he’s been really off his game lately. This am he had snow showers and light snow while ALL models were already showing this scenario. He was also off badly with the lake effect last week as well

• Like 1