Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MLK Storm - something for everyone

ChescoWx

4 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

I know :(

At least we were out of this thing before we were ever in it. Nothing worse than getting the rug pulled out from under you in the final 24hrs.

We never really had a rug to begin with...maybe a drop cloth which is sad.

Temps starting to drop. Down to 37F from low 40s not that long ago. Thinking 12-14F for tonight's low which would be lowest of the season... 

so far so good with my first call 24 hours later. Many models are tuning in to this scenario for the LV.  My totals seem a little high but I guess that is what my second call will iron out tomorrow night. The third and final call will be Sat night Nam Run.  Additional issues  I see popping up now in the models:

1. More sleet at the mid levels are becoming an issue in all of the models.

2. The dry slot is still near or over the LV affecting snow totals before the changeover to sleet/frizzle.  The front end thump maybe just a speed bump if the dry slot kicks our ass..

3. If the wrap around snow does not come to fruition as the low races to the north because of the dry slot, then blowing snow will be curtailed as the sleet and frizzle put the "icing on the cake" to prevent blowing and drifting. Other than thundersnow, I really want to see howling blowing snow that causes drifting as it is a rarity in these parts from this event

4. lastly this inland runner could still go east by 50 miles or so by tomorrow night bringing a lot of happy faces to the I-95  people. Just have to model watch, especially the SREF and NAM runs as they are just outside their model trustworthiness right now.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My second call  this evening for this storm in the LV is by  lowering my expectations of total snowfall to 4-6 inches under a winter weather advisory (Cannot meet the 6 inch winter storm warning criteria) then a changeover to one inch or more of sleet then  to freezing rain .2 and then plain rain .4. Plain and simple gamut of wintry crap for sure for sunday night

All of my previous concerns are still in play from my first call will be considered for incorporation of my final call tomorrow evening. The high winds from the expansive wind field with the double barrell low is concerning to me right now as that is a rarity in our area as well as in delay in the "kicker short wave from the Canada arriving late to the party which then may  force the lp  located off the SNJ coast to slowly become the primary with  increased snowfall accumulations in the wrap around snowfall. Wind gusts over 65 mph will force the NWS  in issuing a high wind warning in our region  and occasionally near whiteout conditions in the wrap around snowfall is a distinct possibility.  I simply call this the "Sandy" of the 2022 with the many power outages and tree felling throughout NJ especially as the soils will be super saturated from the quick thaw and heavy rain.  

Might as well post this here too since Philly is mentioned.

From 1972 until the end of 2003 I was on the West Coast, so don't have a good memory of the great storms I missed, obviously.  The first one I remember since moving back is a nice Miller B(?) in Jan 2005.  But there was a great storm in November 1950, and all we got in Jersey City was rain and no power.  "The Great Appalachian Blizzard".  Other storms behaved similarly, like one I remember in November 1953, where we got an inch of snow before it changed, but Philly got maybe 7".   These storms cut too, although the synoptics may have differed.  All of these storms have meteorological interest, regardless of how much snow they produce.  - As long as I can get to the dentist on Tuesday. B)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

00z NAM is a complete wreck...

24F

well if the NAM verfies, there are going to be a lot of snow weenie suicides that's for sure.  I can't even describe how awful the NAM is for snow lovers in PA. State College went from a foot to a few inches.  Rain all the way to Syracuse after this deep cold is unreal.  I have a meme just for tonights NAM Run

image.jpeg.a79a7c8615d513772f84d8dbd578ef94.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

WXSIM for East Nantmeal Twp with 12z data

Sunday night: Dense overcast. A mix of snow and sleet likely in the evening,
 then a mix of freezing rain, sleet, rain, and snow likely after midnight.
 Breezy. Low 26, but temperatures rising after midnight. Wind chill ranging from
 15 to 26. Wind east-northeast around 10 mph, gusting to 17 mph, in the evening,
 becoming 16 mph, gusting to 22 mph, after midnight. Chance of precipitation 80
 percent.  Snow or ice (on ground) accumulation 3 to 5 inches. Above-ground freezing rain accumulation
 up to 0.6 inches.

Monday: Dense overcast. A mix of snow, rain, and sleet likely in the morning,
 then a slight chance of snow in the afternoon. Breezy. High 34. Wind chill
 around 23. Wind southwest around 11 mph, gusting to 18 mph, in the morning,
 becoming 17 mph, gusting to 28 mph, in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 80
 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly around a quarter of an inch.
 Snow or ice (on ground) accumulation about half an inch.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

percent.  Snow or ice (on ground) accumulation 3 to 5 inches. Above-ground freezing rain accumulation
 up to 0.6 inches.

becoming 17 mph, gusting to 28 mph, in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 80

Any thoughts about the Lehigh Valley? Thanks !!!

31 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

up to 0.6 inches.

There is no way that will verify