Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 16-17th Boom or Bust

Wurbus

6 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Clicking on some of the soundings on Pivotal, it looks like some of the precip it is rendering as rain is borderline snow. I clikced on Knoxville on this map:

HUtVpCp.png

and got this sounding:

pxmNGeK.png

Looks like it may just be extremely shallow boundary layer warmth and not a warm nose. 

Just curious, does this help explain the difference in modeling snow totals? Like some runs have nothing while the last GFS was pretty good. 

I know there is a lot going on with this storm and the low placement, but just curious if some models are interpreting rain as snow and vice versa. 

I've been trying to see what the pivotal soundings say at TRI, but it pivotal apparently thinks I want a severe sounding instead of a winter sounding for that area. I tried to click a normally good down sloping area like N. Sevier or Greene county and it still says snow, even though the model shows rain, but where it shows snow in N. Grainger or Hancock county, the sounding guesses rain as the precip, lol. 

• Like 2

Clicking on some of the soundings on Pivotal, it looks like some of the precip it is rendering as rain is borderline snow. I clikced on Knoxville on this map:
HUtVpCp.png

and got this sounding:
pxmNGeK.png

Looks like it may just be extremely shallow boundary layer warmth and not a warm nose. 
I have seen those temp differences in previous downsloping storms, where I'm at or below freezing on the Roane/Meigs line and go east toward the mountains and Maryville is close to 40 degrees. That explains a lot of models showing a strip of higher totals from McMinn and NNW with a sharp cutoff east towards the mountains.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Just curious, does this help explain the difference in modeling snow totals? Like some runs have nothing while the last GFS was pretty good. 

I know there is a lot going on with this storm and the low placement, but just curious if some models are interpreting rain as snow and vice versa. 

IMO, based on the soundings, the hi res models really think we will suffer from insolation and downsloping tomorrow. It could be right, but based on what the soundings show, I would guess precip type will be rate dependent. I have a hard time believing that there won't be snow if we get good rates and are in the deformation zone and there's not really much of a warm nose. Here is a 12z RGEM sounding from just north of Chatt:

4S9fOxh.png

cG46mvT.png

If there's a warm 850 or 925 layer, it can rain even below freezing, but when temps are dropping with height, it just seems snow is more likely. We do live in the valley though, so if anything can go wrong.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

@Holston_River_Rambler...here's the Xsec at TYS from the 12z RGEM and 3k NAM...trend the last 4 runs has to been slowly erode the finger quicker. At Lovell, the finger is almost completely gone, which is what is jumping the totals over the southern valley on some models

Screenshot_20220115-105127_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220115-105035_Chrome.jpg

So we're not getting  the "finger" as bad as we were?  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, John1122 said:

MRX lowered my chance of > than 4 inches from 70+ percent to 40ish percent from last night into today. They seem convinced models aren't right here. 

They're going from early morning runs and as we all know, their own opinions and biasis.

I can see the caution within the great Valley but, not there.

• Like 1

Just finished my weekly Costco run an hour ago. Our Costco is over the state line into Georgia. All the main roads in N. Georgia have a heavy layer of brine. I know they are thinking ahead but it will all be washed away by the rain, even if we get any frozen precip later. Probably between 1/2"-1" of rain. I don't see how the brine will have any impacts on the roads in the event of frozen slop.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I honestly think MRX should at least issue WWA for Knox, Loudon south. So much modeling showing that area getting potentially plastered with heavy snow potentially warning criteria snow. The only reason they don't is climatology suggests that shouldn't be the case but it wouldn't be the first time the western great valley and southern great valley score in a scenario like this.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

I honestly think MRX should at least issue WWA for Knox, Loudon south. So much modeling showing that area getting potentially plastered with heavy snow potentially warning criteria snow. The only reason they don't is climatology suggests that shouldn't be the case but it wouldn't be the first time the western great valley and southern great valley score in a scenario like this.

Unless the NBM changes drastically (too much model spread still I think), very doubtful they will

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ShawnEastTN said:

I honestly think MRX should at least issue WWA for Knox, Loudon south. So much modeling showing that area getting potentially plastered with heavy snow potentially warning criteria snow. The only reason they don't is climatology suggests that shouldn't be the case but it wouldn't be the first time for sure the western great valley and southern great valley score in a scenario like this.

Agree...better to alert than not even if it went the no show snow way. I think they are doing as u say and also afraid of crying wolf. 

• Like 1

Sort of surprised in my current location. Just on the state line into Georgia just leaving from visiting my mom to head back to Ooltewah. It's 39° and a very light rain with some sleet pellets mixed in bouncing off the car. Originally our rain wasn't scheduled until very late afternoon.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Dug more into the NBM..its running hourly but cant download the grib files unless you have the credentials. This system is a big test for it, uses the current conditions to reanalyze pretty much all the models solutions for the current time frame, then corrects the known bias that is being shown and applies that to the blending for each hourly update.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dug more into the NBM..its running hourly but cant download the grib files unless you have the credentials. This system is a big test for it, uses the current conditions to reanalyze pretty much all the models solutions for the current time frame, then corrects the known bias that is being shown and applies that to the blending for each hourly update.
Yeah I don't have access to NBM.

• Like 1

Wow…

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic