Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 16-17th Boom or Bust

Wurbus

9 minutes ago, bearman said:

It is always curious to me how MRX makes their decision to issue winter weather warning products.   They always err on the side of caution when it comes to severe weather events like tornadoes and issure many warnings that never pan out. It seems like this can cause people to often disregard these warnings but with winter events they seem much more hesitant to pull the trigger.  Maybe it is an issue of scale of impact?

Severe weather products such as outlooks and watches are issued by the SPC in Norman, OK.  MRX tends to elaborate a bit, but won’t stray from SPC guidance.  MRX is responsible for warnings, but there is already severe weather occurring at that point. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the 12z was a step in the right direction. The low looked like it almost made it to the coast before popping up in the mountains. Regardless, with the low not immediately jumping to our neck of the woods, the dry slot was smaller and the temps a bit better as a result. 

I think if we can at least keep some moisture here the backend could work out better for eastern folks which is pretty much what the 12z shows. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Yeah, the 12z was a step in the right direction. The low looked like it almost made it to the coast before popping up in the mountains. Regardless, with the low not immediately jumping to our neck of the woods, the dry slot was smaller and the temps a bit better as a result. 

I think if we can at least keep some moisture here the backend could work out better for eastern folks which is pretty much what the 12z shows. 

Yeah, was further east and the inland runner low fired earlier.  Seems like it was faster.  At one point the slp popped about 100 miles SE of its earlier location.  At 27, you can see the slp is about 100 miles east of where it was at 6z.  

• Like 2

The differences in the NAM occur right after the low fires on the Panhandle (GA/FL/AL border).  Above post was about MSLP.  So is this one.  From that point as it jogs NE, there is more of an eastward component to the low when compared to 6.  Very minor adjustment with BIG consequences for the eastern valley.  Could have been a hiccup or the beginning of a trend.  Just going to have to watch it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

The NMB model bumped up and inch or two or your area it looks like at 6z.  Man, I have such low confidence in modeling for this storm.  

Thanks, CG.  And I’m right there with you man.  Not having uniformity along all models is nerve racking, especially when we are this close to said event.  Hoping for the best while simultaneously preparing my mind for the worst, lol. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Clicking on some of the soundings on Pivotal, it looks like some of the precip it is rendering as rain is borderline snow. I clikced on Knoxville on this map:

HUtVpCp.png

and got this sounding:

pxmNGeK.png

Looks like it may just be extremely shallow boundary layer warmth and not a warm nose. 

I get the downslope deal, but seems like modeling has really accentuated that feature more than normal.  They may be right as there is not fresh, cold air in place, and maybe it has a bit more influence than normal due to marginally cold air.  That track is perfect if the air mass is colder - just in between two cold shots right now which is a bummer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic