• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 16-17th Boom or Bust

Wurbus

That's true too, there are so many variables that's why I was a little uneasy about interpreting it. One thing is slightly different, but how does that impact the other players on the field?

So much to digest…. And we haven’t thought about what that does with the temps.

I hope Mother Nature breaks the mold with this one.

• Like 2

Usually I feel pretty good for KTRI versus the rest of the eastern Valley, even with an annoying 850 nose. But I honestly have no idea what to expect with this one. Obviously we're in a better location than areas southwest for MRX (Knoxville, Maryville, down to Chattanooga., etc.), if we can get rates to pump and negate that sloppy downslope potential. This system has a small chance to overperform for the eastern Valley like '96 if that 850 slows and digs further south than modeled. But it could also just not overcome the nose at all. So, again, I have no idea on this one. Uncomfortable to make a call. Too much sour modeling to get excited myself. I will say if we squeeze out anything more than 3+", it's a win.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

I asked you because your elevator goes higher than mine emoji23.png

Anyway my first thought was slower meant more interaction with the trailing wave which would/could pull it further north.

Elevator, Hell I’m on stairs lmao

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Usually I feel pretty good for KTRI versus the rest of the eastern Valley, even with an annoying 850 nose. But I honestly have no idea what to expect with this one. Obviously we're in a better location than areas southwest for MRX (Knoxville, Maryville, down to Chattanooga., etc.), if we can get rates to pump and negate that sloppy downslope potential. This system has a small chance to overperform for the eastern Valley like '96 if that 850 slows and digs further south than modeled. But it could also just not overcome the nose at all. So, again, I have no idea on this one. Uncomfortable to make a call. Too much sour modeling to get excited myself. I will say if we squeeze out anything more than 3+", it's a win.

Man, I have set the bar at 1" of snow.  LOL.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

SWVA folks might be able to hold on to the upper levels but I doubt it with current guidance especially south of the state line. Our best chance is on the back end with the TROWAL. Even then it's a pyrrhic victory for the far east of the sub forum leaving the plateau and west outta the picture. As it stands nothing in the tri-cities looks right. If I get 2" up my way I'm happy and if I get 4+ I'm ecstatic.

The 18z Euro is just smoking western and midstate areas. I don't know who will cave or just be wrong out that way, but something has to give between the almost nothing models and the Euro giving Memphis 8-10 inches. 

Is it transferring energy to the coast or running the mountains?

I’d look myself but I’m in a big poker game

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

7 minutes ago, Windspeed said:
9 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Haha yeah but we've already had some 1 and 2 inchers. I'll set the bar at 3" and be let down. lol..

5 minutes ago, dwagner88 said:

That’s my threshold for every event. The situation is dire down here.

I've received about 0.5" for each of the last storms.  My bar is set at 0.75".  I'm throwing at party at 1".

• Like 4

I’m still laughing at this forecaster out in northern MS.  He has the whole area even up to Nashville with nothing to 1”.  .  Then a small heavier band.  Very small.  He’s making sure he’s right. That way someone gets nothing to 1”. He can say nailed it. 

• Haha 2

The 00z HRRR just ran the low straight into the mountains and never transferred to the coast. When it ended, it was a 997 low sitting in West Virginia. It's the HRRR at long range....but don't think I've ever seen a low do that before. Needless to say, it wasn't a good run.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Wurbus said:

The 00z HRRR just ran the low straight into the mountains and never transferred to the coast. When it ended, it was a 997 low sitting in West Virginia. It's the HRRR at long range....but don't think I've ever seen a low do that before. Needless to say, it wasn't a good run.

It was still snowing at the end of the run though. 

16 minutes ago, Wurbus said:

NAM doing the same through 42

Don't even have to look at models to know it's not good by how quiet it is in here lol.  12z kept hope alive but 00z is literally raining on the parade.  Think it's time to throw in the towel east of the plateau. 

edit; wow nam and hrrr have slaughtered snow totals for this event. Reserved to the absolute highest peaks of Western NC. 

1 hour ago, Windspeed said:
1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

Haha yeah but we've already had some 1 and 2 inchers. I'll set the bar at 3" and be let down. lol..

Man, I have had 0" and a 1.5" snow so far - prob two in the grass.  Second storm felt like a blizzard when we got over an 1".  My total for the year is 1.5 - 2".   LOL.  

Right now, if the 0z NAM is correct, I am not even sure I get very much precip of any kind.  Been this way all summer and fall and early winter.  There are places in TRI where they get nothing more than a passing shower with this system.  La Nina is just dry here for many systems.  Doubt that verifies, but who knows!  LOL.  The downslope issue looks way overdone to me.  Wonder if there is a feedback error there.  We will certainly deal with it, but not sure I have ever seen a storm look like the NAM and HRRR have it.  Very similar to last winter where the cold/snow stayed west of the Plateau.  That said, I think that changes after the 20th.  

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic