Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 16-17th Boom or Bust

Wurbus

1 hour ago, fountainguy97 said:

18z hrrr looks extremely similar to RGEM/CMC camp through hr 36 at the 850lvl,  Much further south than NAM which is now the outlier of the high res models.  

It's precip shield is still mostly south of TN but it has ticked north this run.  It's long range HRRR so wont be surprised for it to underestimate the Comma

JB mentioned that he thought the GFS and Euro operational models might be possibly suffering from feedback problems.  I can see that a couple of ways.  Either they have better resolution and are nailing this....or it is possible feedback.  We saw a similar egregious error with an ice storm that never occurred in the Piedmont many years ago.  It is possible that the reason the GEFS ensemble has never bitten on big totals is that it is simply filtering out the extreme feedback solutions OR it has lower resolution.  

That was a huge move by the NAM.  It is why I don't trust that model until I see the whites of the storm's eyes....Bunker Hill rules with the NAM.

• Like 6

It’s a waiting game at this point guys and gals.   The Models (specifically short range ones) are gonna spit out some wonky looking solutions while they try to figure out the temperature  profiles/timing in the possibly affected areas.  This is a long duration event though, so don’t get hung up on seeing rain in the forecast because Everyone is gonna see some rain before they get snow with this event.  And Often times those rain to snow events Produce the biggest snows as well.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

That MRX tweet gave the impression to me that they reopened the door on snow chances in the valley but didn’t necessarily want to backtrack on their earlier thoughts.

Betcha that NAM run has everyone rattled.  It would me.  Very thankful I am not in their shoes this weekend.  We have models that literally show a foot for particular place and then nothing.  

• Like 4

Betcha that NAM run has everyone rattled.  It would me.  Very thankful I am not in their shoes this weekend.  We have models that literally show a foot for particular place and then nothing.  

Wouldn’t be a big deal normally but it moving that much after the HRRR and RGEM went south means you can’t completely discount it though. Personally I don’t care how far south the storm tracks because ETn valley was going to have temp issues regardless but a SE track to the east side of the mountains puts us in a better backside position with falling temps in the 20’s. For the last several days it was backside or bust with this system for most of us that’s not elevated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Hey @McMinnWxwe live a few miles apart wouldn’t it be funny if I got 8 inches and you got .5 lol:yikes:

That would be about my luck! Heck, if someone in Athens cashes in, I’m happy! I didn’t realize how close we were to the cutoff on the last snow we had. Seemed like the closer you go to 75, the less snow you saw. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, McMinnWx said:

That would be about my luck! Heck, if someone in Athens cashes in, I’m happy! I didn’t realize how close we were to the cutoff on the last snow we had. Seemed like the closer you go to 75, the less snow you saw. 

Yea I think Decatur basically got blanked, crazy how sharp the cutoff was! 

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic