Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 16-17th Boom or Bust

Wurbus

23 minutes ago, anonymous1968 said:

Alright, I am kind of a lurker on here because I am a teacher in Sullivan County and have a vested interest in snow. Sullivan is a big county that has a ton of different elevations and also has Kingsport (which we all know is where snow goes to die). Let's put this in these terms, does this produce enough and stick around enough to get us a day off on Tuesday?

Barring a model change at the end(which can happen on occasion) and just for fun....Kingsport hard "no" at this point unless they just need to burn a day.  Bristol maybe a delay.  Sullivan Co 60/40 out.  Storm has trended away from Kingsport getting significant accumulations during the past 24 hours.  Most modeling has Kingsport(the lowest elevation of the TRI and only city on an actual river which limits snow in addition to the EB) with a combo of snow to rain/ice and back to light snow.  Best window for Kingsport would be Jan20-30th.  Best to set the bar really, really low with this storm.  Any accumulation greater than 1", celebrate.....Best chance or snow actually accumulating should be on the back side of the storm.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I don't know if what I'm about to say is how this works, but it looks like there is a weakness in the windfields that the 850 low is getting pulled toward:

73CyYys.png

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115933b94034bbb66109

that seems to be what is encouraging it to pull north.

That is what is messing up the 850..needs more separation or the valley is left on the outside looking in

RGEM shoves the 850 Low abt 100 miles east of other models.  Because of this the Surface low never splits up into TN. Instead it shoots off to the east.  This pulls the back deform band across Eastern TN instead of dryslotting.  Similar to some EURO solutions recently.  The problem is this robs Western areas of the deform band pivot.  So while Eastern TN is better off with more qpf the western portions are much drier.

Major outlier for now.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

RGEM shoves the 850 Low abt 100 miles east of other models.  Because of this the Surface low never splits up into TN. Instead it shoots off to the east.  This pulls the back deform band across Eastern TN instead of dryslotting.  Similar to some EURO solutions recently.  The problem is this robs Western areas of the deform band pivot.  So while Eastern TN is better off with more qpf the western portions are much drier.

Major outlier for now.

Just when I’m about to throw in the towel, the RGEM reels me back in

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I prefer binary options over snow amounts. I'll take the snow day bet.

50 minutes ago, anonymous1968 said:

Alright, I am kind of a lurker on here because I am a teacher in Sullivan County and have a vested interest in snow. Sullivan is a big county that has a ton of different elevations and also has Kingsport (which we all know is where snow goes to die). Let's put this in these terms, does this produce enough and stick around enough to get us a day off on Tuesday?

If the TROWAL passes over NE Tenn the system could recover well after a dismal start.

• Like 5

The problem with these systems is that a 50 mile shift in a synoptic feature can mean a big change somewhere.  It's not unheard of for a change to happen that isn't modeled (such as the positions of ULL or MSLP, or speed).  It's those kinds of changes that have robbed us in the past - and have also led to unexpected surprises.  The MRX jinx is real too.  I'm hoping for one of those to happen to get enough snow to sled in East Knoxville.  I'm not building up my kids' hopes though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nrgjeff said:

Knoxville north is still in the game East Tenn. Trend is not ideal this morning, but the end of the storm is still 48+ hours out. We need an O/U pool on the TROWAL. North or South of I-81?

Looking at the cross sectionals, I would rather be at Lovell than Tys, as hard as that is to believe lol. Column needs alot less help at your place

• Like 1

Yes @Holston_River_Rambler I'm in and out frequently. Re your reply to me @TellicoWx it could be so if that TROWAL is correct.

Truest sense of a TROWAL is warm air advection at 850/700 mb from the North instead of the usual Southeast. It's definitely there on the 12Z GFS and why it gets KCHA. 

If in a hurry one can look for the 700 mb vort max south. Whether or not it's a true TROWAL or standard comma head, it's good news. TROWAL is nice because it's a bonus. Where some systems cut off in CAA, the meso-scale eeks out WAA from the north.

PS wow that's a bitter pill for Kingsport. :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Yes @Holston_River_Rambler I'm in and out frequently. 

Truest sense of a TROWAL is warm air advection at 850/700 mb from the North instead of the usual Southeast. It's definitely there on the 12Z GFS and why it gets KCHA. 

If in a hurry one can look for the 700 mb vort max south. Whether or not it's a true TROWAL or standard comma head, it's good news. TWOWAL is nice because it's a bonus. Where some systems cut off in CAA, the meso-scale eeks out WAA from the north.

PS wow that's a bitter pill for Kingsport!

IDK, man.  That looked like a good run for us, doubled 6z for MBY.  LOL.  I think that run had all of TRI at 5" or higher.   Looks to me like the comma head still got us....just snows forever after the storm leaves.

• Like 4

You're right @Carvers Gap I was comparing with 00Z. The 06Z was dreadful. Pattern recognition says TRI does fine back side. JC might do better than Kingsport but you know more about the micros up there.

I was also in a hurry. MRX proper is the dreadful snow hole those runs. It's all meso-scale crap 48 hours out anyway.

In a perfect world that comma head goes KCHA KTYS KTRI but that's a big ask, and without other micro-debacles. 

• Like 2

Cross sectional from 12z RGEM...Lovell vs TYS (all models showing southern valley needs less help). My question is, "Is the problem more of a downslope issue vs a true 850 warm nose surging up the valley?"
Screenshot_20220114-105618_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6751d47e078090e44a75d80a69cd9bc6.jpg
Screenshot_20220114-105701_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2750e33a896ef68f33a5138022d78baa.jpg

CAD from upstate SC and NE Georgia trying to filter into SE Tennessee? Seen this happen before.

• Like 3

Just now, PowellVolz said:

CAD from upstate SC and NE Georgia is trying to filter into SE Tennessee. Seen this happen before.

Yep. I've had a pretty significant ice storm that only affected the extreme southern portion of the metro area. I think it was on Christmas 10-12 year ago.

• Like 3

It's frequent in spring to kill off severe wx chances via too stable.

8 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

CAD from upstate SC and NE Georgia trying to filter into SE Tennessee? Seen this happen before.

I can't recall it in winter, but I only have a cynical short-term memory. Key is to get help above the surface too.

• Like 3

One of the biggest issues in the grand scheme is not getting the truly cold Canadian air down here that's been hanging out and mainly being shunted b4 getting to our Latt.

Many of us can remember systems that tracked in a similar fashion as this one that we all still received a decent snowfall, due to much colder air involved ; in place as well as backside caa.

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic