Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 16-17th Boom or Bust

Wurbus

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

That cut up the Apps really kills the counties that border the Smokies. The everyone west of basically those counties does somewhere between well and spectacular. 

It’s the NWS jinx in full effect for the mountains.  They issue a Watch and now the low is tracking directly into it.

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

You can see the rain shadow up the Apps in East Tennessee, along the high Cumberlands in East KY like Black,  also the areas just west of the mountains in WVA. 

Down here the QPF is cut by 50% over 20 or 30 miles as the crow flies. 

John, what are your thoughts on the NAM’s past couple of runs?  Do you think it is plausible?

6 minutes ago, Vol4Life said:

John, what are your thoughts on the NAM’s past couple of runs?  Do you think it is plausible?

Unfortunately, yes. We had another storm a few years ago that did that. So it's definitely on the table. We won't be in the prime NAM range until tomorrow, so I expect more changes as we go. Another shift south like the one we just had with it from 18z to 00z, and it would cut the other side of the Apps before it could get up the valley. 

Other models are more of a straight Miller A type track. I wouldn't give the NAM any great weight over the Euro for now. 

• Like 1

Nashville Discussion - changed

Of course, the big story is this weekend`s winter weather
potential and I have to say, the major models are doing a much
better job with continuity today. Surface and upper lows are
following very similar trajectories and as we all know, this can
be the difference in one area or another seeing more snow, less
snow or a wintry mix. Problem for Middle TN, the surface low looks
to be far enough south to make everything snow for us -- and QPFs
are looking, well, high.

We`re starting to advertise 4 to 6 inches, with the highest
potential across our north and east, but honestly, it could be
more than that in several spots, especially on the Plateau. This
is going to be another one of those situations where you`ll need
to plan for widespread travel impacts starting Sund
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dsty2001 said:

I just can't buy into the NAMs solution yet 

If it's still showing the same solution tomorrow night then might have to take another L

Agree.  NAM has burned me too many times over the years at this range.  That is 45-60 hours away on this run from precip onset IMBY.  No way I trust it.  

As for the GFS, its ensemble is a perfect track.  The amped models are producing amped solutions right now.  No surprise there.  Euro and EPS tracks are great.  NAM/GFS are not for E TN.  I am not seeing any other model send a low into the Apps.  Until I see that, the NAM is an outlier solution.  

E TN has some battles to fight in order to get snow.  Middle TN is looking good again.  I believe the snow hole deal is over with or without this storm.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, codgator said:

Nashville Discussion - changed

Of course, the big story is this weekend`s winter weather
potential and I have to say, the major models are doing a much
better job with continuity today. Surface and upper lows are
following very similar trajectories and as we all know, this can
be the difference in one area or another seeing more snow, less
snow or a wintry mix. Problem for Middle TN, the surface low looks
to be far enough south to make everything snow for us -- and QPFs
are looking, well, high.

We`re starting to advertise 4 to 6 inches, with the highest
potential across our north and east, but honestly, it could be
more than that in several spots, especially on the Plateau. This
is going to be another one of those situations where you`ll need
to plan for widespread travel impacts starting Sund

I assume the second shift came to work with fresh eyes. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Vol4Life said:

Not John, but certainly plausible solution.  As John notes, that very track can happen but is rare.  Considering no other model has that solution (slp tracking the spine of the Apps), looks a bit amped to me.  The real thing to nail down is the track.  The NAM actually shifted the snow axis well eastward.  It moved towards the Euro quite a bit, but quite a bit to go.  My guess is a blend of the GFS and Euro would be a decent solution right now.  Even if it put 4' of snow IMBY, I wouldn't trust the NAM at this range.  

• Like 2

The extreme E to W downslope over the spine of the Apps with the latest run of the NAM and to a lesser extent the GFS reminds me of the Jan 2016 Blizzard. Though in the case of that the low transitioned to the coast by Charleston rather than running up to swva then shifting to the Outer banks.

Just looking at the mslp low location, the NAM(18z and 0z) is dragging its heals when forming the coastal.  No global ensemble has anything evolution that looks like that.  Again, I strongly suspect it is too far west of sensible modeling.  GFS/Euro blend looks wise to me.  That doesn't mean downscoping won't exist east of 81/75.  But if this turns out to be a Miller A, that NAM run is sheared out compared to what it will potentially become.  I still think this becomes an inland runner.  Energy handoff could be a problem, but for now I am only seeing the NAM with that issue.  It may or may not appear on other modeling, but that is an outlier solution to this point.  

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic