• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 16-17th Boom or Bust

Wurbus

To me the track is fairly consistent now.  What is unknown is how much of a handoff will occur, ie how much of the remnant original low sneaks west of the Apps.  Models differ greatly.  In general, we have seen modeling trend well south today.  Now that the track seems almost consolidated, let's see what happens.  Modeling may stay with the same look or it may strengthen the slp in the coastal plain as the upstream unknown variables are solved.  Definitely could bust, but a good run of the GFS for most of the state.  If the Euro holds at 12z, that is a good look.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Wurbus said:

My money is on what CMC is showing here. Snow everywhere but the valley with that warm nose. I'll be happy with my 1-2 slushy accumulation and enjoy everyone else's pictures.

image.thumb.png.7f72a190ab3b1ce1da6c92ff81f81be7.png

It could, but that low placement is well west of other guidance.  That is definitely a downlsope.  But it is important to remember that modeling is just now dialing this in.  If that low were to deepen, that precip makes it across the mountains.  Also, people west of 81 and 75 would likely be in the game.  I rarely get downsloped here from a SE wind.  It is a legit concern in the foothills unless the slp strengthens.   I get downsloped when the system approaches from the west of Kingsport.  With models moving around so much, doubt they are done.  

• Like 4

Just now, TellicoWx said:

If you want sanity...turn on the 850 wind field maps and follow the swirl...dont need any other map on model runs...north/northwest of the swirl...golden. over the top of you/east/south...move on to the next run

Good post. I do this often and IMO it's probably the most important feature to key on if you want to find where snow is likely.

• Like 2

I could be wrong(happens a lot), but just spitballing.....looks like modeling are converging on an inland runner.  Once they converge on that track, all eyes turn to intensity and handoff.  For those of us in the East, we probably should be thankful we can even talk about this today.  Because yesterday's look and trends were hot garbage for us.  LOL.

• Like 5

This is one apparent tough testing for the Models as well as Forecasters. I will say, last Winter nearly all SR Models had us here in Lee County the recipient of DS and very little snow with pretty much all events, other than the Christmas one of which DS wasn't in play. We totalled nearly 30" for the Season. I think I came up with around 9" if the Mods had been right based on the SR runs right b4 onset of the Snow. 

I think low onset dp's and rates had alot to do with it as have witnessed the other extreme i.e, Jan.- 23-16 Storm of which a mix that transitioned to snow with just a 4 inch amount occured with some areas close by receiving much more. Ds off High Knob was culprit.

Carvers earlier points regarding who gets what and how much based on what is on the money I think. If that makes sense,lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

There was a system in the last few years where it snowed here and was freezing rain in Kentucky. The warm nose ran-up the west side of the Plateau and wrapped into Kentucky. It's in one of the winter storm threads here. Can't remember which right now. But that made some sense from a topographical standpoint. The NAM had freezing rain across the Northern Plateau on the NW side of the storm with snow on the central Plateau and points south. 

February 20, 2015? Worst ice storm in Cumberland County history if so. I believe Kentucky got snow in that one though so maybe not. But places east of us also got snow that typically wouldn't have, especially when Crossville had freezing rain.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Shocker0 said:

February 20, 2015? Worst ice storm in Cumberland County history if so. I believe Kentucky got snow in that one though so maybe not. But places east of us also got snow that typically wouldn't have, especially when Crossville had freezing rain.

This one is more recent than that one if I recall correctly. It may have even happened last winter. Kentucky reported he was getting freezing rain 20 or 25 miles north of me while I was getting snow. It's very rare but it happened in that case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This one is more recent than that one if I recall correctly. It may have even happened last winter. Kentucky reported he was getting freezing rain 20 or 25 miles north of me while I was getting snow. It's very rare but it happened in that case.

Is that the storm where WAA was supposed to takeover the valley but it hugged the foothills and south of 40? I was supposed to go snow/rain/snow for a couple of inches but it stayed all snow and I ended up with 6-8” I believe. I might be thinking of a different storm though.

6 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

@AMZ8990 is the 6z RGEM winner:

8fKCdbf.png

6z GFS seemed to take a really nice energy pass:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611e83adc23aafc2a6ccc

and we get a 999 low just south of Atlanta, but the 850 low still makes a run at the eastern valley. However, the 850 low has been trending SE the past 4 runs:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611c27ecfcc649c2fcbc9

if we could get that 850 low to round the Apps, that would be nice. But as it stands this AM, on the GFS at least, that is ne Bueno for areas that would get downsloping from the Apps and be impacted by a piece of the low trying to slide up the eastern valley. 

6z GEFS looks like it tries to have a few members be straight up Miller As, but the majority are still these Miller B messes:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76117ec16f8eeb0019dc8b

but like Tellico said last night, those members don't quite get the precip back over the Apps. 

6z NAM looks like it is a little further south than the GFS, but still sends some energy up the valley.

Appreciate that, buddy!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Oh ok. I don't really remember any ice storms here the last couple of years so maybe we got snow too or something else while other parts of town got ice. Really, the one in 2015 is the last one I can remember here but it also stood out because of how bad it was. We had two ice storms in the same week then with the second one on Saturday making it look like a tornado hit.

• Like 1

Oh ok. I don't really remember any ice storms here the last couple of years so maybe we got snow too or something else while other parts of town got ice. Really, the one in 2015 is the last one I can remember here but it also stood out because of how bad it was. We had two ice storms in the same week then with the second one on Saturday making it look like a tornado hit.
Yes that one in 15 was really bad in my neck of the woods also. That year if I remember all in the month of February imby we got 2 ice storms and a 10" snow all within a couple week period.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic