Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 16-17th Boom or Bust

Wurbus

1 hour ago, tnweathernut said:

Can anyone name a storm that dropped a foot on Chattanooga that went ice from Knoxville to Johnson City?  I’m not sure one exists…….

The NAM showed heavy rain over Tazewell, the snowiest city in the state with an observation station, and heavy snow over the southern valley. I'm not for sure how that would work. But I'll certainly take my chances with it's track. 

• Like 1

There was a system in the last few years where it snowed here and was freezing rain in Kentucky. The warm nose ran-up the west side of the Plateau and wrapped into Kentucky. It's in one of the winter storm threads here. Can't remember which right now. But that made some sense from a topographical standpoint. The NAM had freezing rain across the Northern Plateau on the NW side of the storm with snow on the central Plateau and points south. 

• Like 1

The NAM showed heavy rain over Tazewell, the snowiest city in the state with an observation station, and heavy snow over the southern valley. I'm not for sure how that would work. But I'll certainly take my chances with it's track. 

Southern Valley closer to better dynamic cooling?

• Like 1

Like some were thinking the NAM may not check out with the thermodynamic profile for the NE TN valley but here is the ice map for those interested...

What seems more likely and will probably make the ''weather disaster news headlines'' is .5''-1'' of solid ice over GA and SC urban centers like Atlanta if the cold air is robust enough. 

image.png.33097c48f04d78fd7d614dca20735492.png

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic