Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

20 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It certainly could have worked if the randomness(luck) would have turned out a little differently. That said, the overall synoptics up top as advertised leading in was just "off" from what I want to see for my location. I know where you are the warts can be overcome more easily, so we often differ on our perspectives of what is favorable for a good outcome. Rapidly retreating cold air mass is a big red flag for me.

We have very diff climo.  We don’t share many big snows. The huge ones yea but more typically if I’m getting 12+ you’re raining and if you are I’m smoking cirrus. The 95 corridor is in between and can get the NW edge of southern sliders or the SE edge of more amplified coastal climbers. You want to the slider.  A storm amplifying up the coast is a loser east of 95 90% of the time. My comments were more for 95 west. I don’t think east of the bay was ever in play in this setup once the confluence broke down.

But there was a way that doesn’t happen so fast. Adjust that NS wave digging in and we get way less ridging in front. It’s not like the pattern is awful. Just bad timing with that feature. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

We have very diff climo.  We don’t share many big snows. The huge ones yea but more typically if I’m getting 12+ you’re raining and if you are I’m smoking cirrus. The 95 corridor is in between and can get the NE edge of southern sliders or the SE edge of more amplified coastal climbers. You want to the slider.  A storm amplifying up the coast is a lower east of 95 90% of the time. My comments were more for 95 west. I don’t think east of the bay was ever in play in this setup once the confluence broke down.

But there was a way that doesn’t happen so fast. Adjust that NS wave digging in and we get way less ridging in front. It’s not like the pattern is awful. Just bad timing with that feature. 

Timing is even more important when the flow is progressive. Cold doesn't stay around long. Underscores the importance for at least some blocking up top. That big ocean low could have been a nice 50-50 and given us the confluence we needed, but it was flying up through the Maritimes with no block to slow it. Could have still worked, but again, timing. That NS sw probably would not have been an issue either had the look up top been better, ofc then we would have had the southern slider failure mode option lol.

55 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Timing is even more important when the flow is progressive. Cold doesn't stay around long. Underscores the importance for at least some blocking up top. That big ocean low could have been a nice 50-50 and given us the confluence we needed, but it was flying up through the Maritimes with no block to slow it. Could have still worked, but again, timing. That NS sw probably would not have been an issue either had the look up top been better, ofc then we would have had the southern slider failure mode option lol.

I think we’re just analyzing it from different angles.  Lots of intricacies. But Imo (and again maybe this is our climo) when we have a great pac like now we don’t need a cut off Rex block over Greenland.  We actually were teased with that for a couple days and that’s when this storm was getting squashed!  It was too much!  We have a NW flow from the pac longwave pattern, a full ok Rex block is probably too much of a good thing. We need some suppression and the regular old -NAO ridge provided that.  It got the SW to dig to GA. But then we need the flow to relax or this is a southern slider like guidance was showing a week ago when there was a Rex block and it wasn’t relaxing in time. We need whatever dives in on the NW flow to be able to turn the corner and amplify up the coast or it’s a cold dry congrats NC pattern!  This isn’t 2010. We actually had a trough in the SW so we wanted that crazy block to resist the juiced stj systems that wanted to cut up the east absent that block. That was a perfect combo. Put that block in this pac look and it’s 1977. The bay might freeze over but we won’t get much snow. 

So my reasoning for focusing on the NS energy behind is that’s the one variable that could have changed this to a white outcome. From where this is in GA we need the flow to relax. No way that affects us at all otherwise. The system had to start to lift from there. So the suppression relaxing when it does is necessary. But that stupid SW diving in behind over amplifies and turns the whole thing negative on a dime.  You’re 100% about all the other ways this could have been stopped from cutting but most of those result in a suppressed wave that gets no snow north of Richmond imo. But removing that NS piece allows this to turn the corner but without the phase and going nuts. I think we could have worked with that. Not some huge storm but better than this result.  But where you are turning the corner comes with precip type risks so I can see you rooting to be on the northern edge of the suppressed idea. I smoke cirrus in that scenario so…no thabks

So what you’re describing 

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I think we’re just analyzing it from different angles.  Lots of intricacies. But Imo (and again maybe this is our climo) when we have a great pac like now we don’t need a cut off Rex block over Greenland.  We actually were teased with that for a couple days and that’s when this storm was getting squashed!  It was too much!  We have a NW flow from the pac longwave pattern, a full ok Rex block is probably too much of a good thing. We need some suppression and the regular old -NAO ridge provided that.  It got the SW to dig to GA. But then we need the flow to relax or this is a southern slider like guidance was showing a week ago when there was a Rex block and it wasn’t relaxing in time. We need whatever dives in on the NW flow to be able to turn the corner and amplify up the coast or it’s a cold dry congrats NC pattern!  This isn’t 2010. We actually had a trough in the SW so we wanted that crazy block to resist the juiced stj systems that wanted to cut up the east absent that block. That was a perfect combo. Put that block in this pac look and it’s 1977. The bay might freeze over but we won’t get much snow. 

So my reasoning for focusing on the NS energy behind is that’s the one variable that could have changed this to a white outcome. From where this is in GA we need the flow to relax. No way that affects us at all otherwise. The system had to start to lift from there. So the suppression relaxing when it does is necessary. But that stupid SW diving in behind over amplifies and turns the whole thing negative on a dime.  You’re 100% about all the other ways this could have been stopped from cutting but most of those result in a suppressed wave that gets no snow north of Richmond imo. But removing that NS piece allows this to turn the corner but without the phase and going nuts. I think we could have worked with that. Not some huge storm but better than this result.  But where you are turning the corner comes with precip type risks so I can see you rooting to be on the northern edge of the suppressed idea. I smoke cirrus in that scenario so…no thabks

So what you’re describing 

The strength and timing of NS sw diving in behind ended up being the nail in the coffin so to speak, but before that there were inherent flaws out in front. The Arctic cold was always fleeting, and the High was always exiting stage right, and that was always going to turn the flow more easterly. And again, with a better look up top- blocked flow/low off the Maritimes and HP further west, we likely don't get that sw diving in like that. That is neither here nor there at this point though.

27 minutes ago, dsnowman said:

Forecast high for western Fairfax County today = 30. Actual high temperature = 26. A great battle between the surface and atmosphere is about to ensue.

Well, technically, the highs were probably recorded at midnight ;).  My home weather station here in Centreville recorded a high of 34 degrees at midnight.  But yeah, I’ve been between 25.0 and 26.5 most of the day today as well.  Such wasted cold :( 

4 hours ago, IronTy said:

Why does everybody hate DT?   I remember some posts from a year or two back where he was going crazy and having a meltdown or something and he seems to be good at lashing out and blaming others for his own shortcomings.  But other than that is he ok?

Psychology: Many people think by demeaning others it raises themselves. It doesn't.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

You have to separate DT personally and professionally. Personality doesn’t change that he’s knowledgeable.

For all the knowledge, he’s still often incorrect and a wishcaster for his back yard. Sad truth. The weather community would be better off without a guy like him…just my 2 cents. It’s a tight knit group to have someone pissing in cheerios.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic