Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

53 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I think a lot of the unwillingness to accept the outcome stems from not understanding how low pressure systems evolve. There isn't just a surface low like everyone looks at on TT. There are also mid and upper level lows. At our latitude in the winters, it's not common to have all 3 on top of each other like this. They are usually "slanted" with the surface first and upper last. When you get all 3 spinning together right over top of each other and no cold high feeding the beast,, you better be far NW from the center or you're in big wet trouble.

This all goes back to the "sandwich" dynamics which you explained last year.  Hopefully some on the board can remember this for the future.  :-)

24 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

That low jump is just a digital thing from what I can tell. Model graphic output is programmed to stamp an L at the lowest pressure but the lowest pressure is fluid so the L jumps around inside the "bag of low pressure". I like using the shaded mslp anomaly maps to just compare the bigger bag (general center) and not the L (specific center). I could be wrong here so someone correct me if so

I always find it odd that people live and die based on where contours are closed and letters are drawn, especially if run to run they move +/- 25 miles.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

What is the criteria for an ice storm warning?

Some of these criteria vary from region to region, but here is what LWX has on their site. Looks like .25 inches of ice.

https://www.weather.gov/lwx/WarningsDefined#:~:text=A Winter Storm Warning is,weather is occurring or imminent.&text=2) Enough ice accumulation to cause damage to trees or powerlines.,-AND%2FOR&text=AND%2FOR-,3) a life threatening or damaging combination of snow and,or ice accumulation with wind.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

What is the criteria for an ice storm warning?

I’ve never experienced a wind driven ice storm here in the piedmont. Feel like if the wind was right it would be snow and the wrong wind direction like this appears so far is rain.  But you never know

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ruin said:

and look at it now its going to go into south central PA straight north. All the talk about cold air surprising this storm went out the window in less then 12 hours. I mean for heavens sake going from right at the coast then to push in western VA in some models is crazy. I even made a joke watch this turn into a apps runner and by god it did. at this point I wouldnt be surprised if it ended up in western PA or if it decided to go more east

I said days ago it would end up either an apps runner/cutter or it would jump to the coast. For snow lovers on the coastal plain, we rolled snake eyes. It “jumped” the wrong way. Smh

5 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I’ve never experienced a wind driven ice storm here in the piedmont. Feel like if the wind was right it would be snow and the wrong wind direction like this appears so far is rain.  But you never know

Yes.  Wind would mix the surface inversion, scouring out the low level cold .  I don't buy any depiction showing a windy freezing rain scenario. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Yes.  Wind would mix the surface inversion, scouring out the low level cold .  I don't buy any depiction showing a windy freezing rain scenario. 

Hazards aside and impacts..it would be cool to see a wind driven ice storm. ..until it was time to clean up from it

16 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I’m not sure that’s quite what is depicted. The wind doesn’t really pick up on the NAM until after the rain transition on the model. That ZR is almost entirely before the big rain mass reaches us. If you look at the 850 winds at 0z Monday on the 12z NAM, the mass of wind has just reached DC and already the ZR has pulled north of DC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I’m just (unwisely) hugging the HRRR. Shows a very equitable 3-5” across the region with some banding winners before a little sleet and a little rain.
a50ac22c33ab15fe9a9fed4e82f05b67.jpg

That’s the most uniform snow map for such a large area in the history of snow maps

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm just going to enjoy whatever we get.  There's going to be snow in the air during daylight.  Window is still open for a surprise or two.  Now that we know what our fate is, time to just get past it, have fun with whatever we get and then forget this one and move to our next threat.  

• Like 17

I'm just going to enjoy whatever we get.  There's going to be snow in the air during daylight.  Window is still open for a surprise or two.  Now that we know what our fate is, time to just get past it, have fun with whatever we get and then forget this one and move to our next threat.  

A smart person would not check this forum or the models until Monday. That’s not me
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Hear hear 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

I want to make sure anyone interested in meteorology and wants to follow along with storms now and of the future; the upper level evolution is the driver the atmosphere. What happens up top will reflect what happens below it. Once you understand the dynamics of the levels 700mb and up, you can be a better forecaster. Cold and warm air will always have the ability to be washed out by an evolving surface and low-mid level pattern. This storm is no different. 

Sampling is a smaller issue at range than it ever has been due to GOES 16/17 and the countless reconnaissance we have delivered over the course of the past 10-15 years. Yes, some minor shifts that could play major components to a pattern evo can occur when a specific feature is sampled over land, but the discourse of, "Changing to tunes of 100s of miles" is ancient history. Overall, this has been a pretty well documented storm with minor adjustments here and there, but in a setup where every 10 miles counts and timing is everything, they are magnified. 

I didn't post last night for two reasons:

1) I was tired and my wife was finally off. I wanted to spend some time with her and we watched some of our favorite shows. It was a wonderful evening.

2) I wanted to see if models held serve on what the hi-res guidance has been insinuating recently, and it looks like they are. This will lead to a forecast shift myself, which I'll have today. 

For those interested in meteorology, I will preface by saying this will be a sight to watch unfold. Result you are looking for may be damned, but take it from someone only getting more wind and absolutely no precip from 2000 miles away; enjoy the meteorology and learn, or I would find something to do on Sunday evening that will take your mind off it all. Ice will be coming, and there's nothing we can do to stop it. Pattern is still loaded in the long range. We are okay for now. 

Enjoy your Saturday!! Life is too short to worry about what Mother Nature is gonna do.

"We'll weather the weather, whatever the weather, whether we like it or not!" :weight_lift:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

I want to make sure anyone interested in meteorology and wants to follow along with storms now and of the future; the upper level evolution is the driver the atmosphere. What happens up top will reflect what happens below it. Once you understand the dynamics of the levels 700mb and up, you can be a better forecaster. Cold and warm air will always have the ability to be washed out by an evolving surface and low-mid level pattern. This storm is no different. 

Sampling is a smaller issue at range than it ever has been due to GOES 16/17 and the countless reconnaissance we have delivered over the course of the past 10-15 years. Yes, some minor shifts that could play major components to a pattern evo can occur when a specific feature is sampled over land, but the discourse of, "Changing to tunes of 100s of miles" is ancient history. Overall, this has been a pretty well documented storm with minor adjustments here and there, but in a setup where every 10 miles counts and timing is everything, they are magnified. 

I didn't post last night for two reasons:

1) I was tired and my wife was finally off. I wanted to spend some time with her and we watched some of our favorite shows. It was a wonderful evening.

2) I wanted to see if models held serve on what the hi-res guidance has been insinuating recently, and it looks like they are. This will lead to a forecast shift myself, which I'll have today. 

For those interested in meteorology, I will preface by saying this will be a sight to watch unfold. Result you are looking for may be damned, but take it from someone only getting more wind and absolutely no precip from 2000 miles away; enjoy the meteorology and learn, or I would find something to do on Sunday evening that will take your mind off it all. Ice will be coming, and there's nothing we can do to stop it. Pattern is still loaded in the long range. We are okay for now. 

Enjoy your Saturday!! Life is too short to worry about what Mother Nature is gonna do.

"We'll weather the weather, whatever the weather, whether we like it or not!" :weight_lift:

I really like your informative posts.  If you get the chance, please transfer to the Mount Holley office.

• Like 3

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic