• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

I wonder how many analogues there would have been for a storm evolution similar to this. Also before throwing a sheet over this, let's not forget the storm hasn't actually happened yet. What if the models are just as wrong about this as they were in that early March setup a few years ago. In that case the storm ended up missing wide right if I recall, what's to say this doesn't miss wide right and you're back in a good place? 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

I wonder how many analogues there would have been for a storm evolution similar to this. Also before throwing a sheet over this, let's not forget the storm hasn't actually happened yet. What if the models are just as wrong about this as they were in that early March setup a few years ago. In that case the storm ended up missing wide right if I recall, what's to say this doesn't miss wide right and you're back in a good place? 

What I wouldnt give to wake up on Monday morning, crack open the Mid Atlantic sub and find very happy snow weenies flying happily all over! The storm missed wide right and DC gets 20 inches of pow, as well as much of the forum!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jebman said:

What I wouldnt give to wake up on Monday morning, crack open the Mid Atlantic sub and find very happy snow weenies flying happily all over! The storm missed wide right and DC gets 20 inches of pow, as well as much of the forum!

Gotta set reasonable goals Jeb. Just hope Winchester gets 20” for example 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The cycle of optimism-pessimism is actually trending in a good way, next peak of optimism should be late Saturday. At that range the models can't miss. 

Pros seem a bit suspicious that these model shifts are bogus, not sensing their enthusiasm at this stage. 

How many cold 500 mb lows form in this particular way? And the offset of the circulation to snow development at present will be replaced overnight by something more normal looking. I wonder if the injection of cold air into the circulation will change the model output, because right now that low in Texas is surrounded by mild air masses, the arctic front is almost a thousand miles northeast of the low. By late Saturday it's making more direct contact in AR-MS. 

And there's the contact with the Gulf to consider. There are ways these forecasts could bust on the warm side. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, Jebman said:

That’s always my hope with these storms. It’s happened before!  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 87storms said:

different setup, but 94 had a pretty epic bust of a snowstorm that ended up being several inches of pure sleet (which actually looked like snow tbh).  very brief snow to start and that was it.  i haven't looked at the surface maps, but the track was just too far inland here.  i do agree that you'd think with an arctic airmass the day before that we'd do a little better on the front end.

yea, that feb 94 storm and 2007 Val day were the biggest sleet storms I can remember. Don’t think this one will rate.

Me, I”m a bit over halfway to climo and peak snow season isn’t even here yet. So if this is a bust, I won’t stew in my slush juices.

And after seeing the GoFundMeS, I think “slush” may be pushing it.

7 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I will be there also...I only expect several inches of snow/ice from the front side of this storm...but they will clean up on the backside once the winds flip to the NW.  That's perfect upslope flow and it's the kind of snow they get very high ratios, 20-1.  I could see them getting 8" from that late Sunday night through Monday morning.  

Always appreciate your knowledge and posts!  

• Like 1

We are in Costa Rica the past week on vacation. Regardless of the outcome of this storm, the fact that we planned this trip 6 months ago and we are under a winter storm watch and fly home tomorrow for a Sunday storm is absolutely PERFECT timing which never happens for me. I usually miss the storm while away. Thanks for the great commentary as I randomly checked on it this week laying on a pool chair watching monkeys play in the trees.

• Like 2

I was originally planning on going to Massanutten near Harrisonburg to ski on Sunday (6-10) was looking likely there until now.... Now I'm contemplating going to the Homestead in Bath county instead. Bath county looks like maybe one of the few places in Virginia to see a "mostly clean" snowstorm? Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic