Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

24 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. It is strengthening that backside potential on each run. But the hopes of an all snow bomb to the west is pretty much over. I won't be making fun of the NAM again anytime soon. It was the first to pick out the realistic amount of ice out this way.

The storm hasn’t happened yet. We can’t determine which was right until the end. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MDsnowPRO said:

The use of brining during pretreatment has shown to reduce the use of salt by 75% over just post treatment.  So the brining is not the enemy. It is part of the solution to the problem you are concerned about. 

also beat juice is high in sugar and leads to algae blooms in the bay so it’s not really a solution either. 

If they can curb sodium usage in any way shape or form it will help. Damage is already being done due to salt piles being dumped on roads. The data on what’s showing up in the watersheds due to it is alarming

• Like 9

That trend on the 12z GFS towards more of a coastal low dominance could make the outcome much different if the storm slows down a bit, I read the commentary here before running the loop and saw a somewhat more optimistic potential, mixing looks brief and I could see how this trend might lead to an all-snow outcome. You can follow a center of low pressure up the coast developing offshore and heading for Cape Cod. Halfway house to a much different outcome? 

Interesting to see if Euro goes in this direction also. My first call would be 3.5" BWI, DCA and 5.5" IAD, 8 to 15 over regions northwest of DC to ROA, about 6-9" CHO. Some sleet and max temps 34-38F, dropping back to low 30s, mixed showers for most with 3-5" upslope in wraparound. Results, some snow left on ground in metros and 3-6 frozen pack further west, slow meltdown Tuesday-Wednesday with a few more passing flurries. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 3

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. It is strengthening that backside potential on each run. But the hopes of an all snow bomb to the west is pretty much over. I won't be making fun of the NAM again anytime soon. It was the first to pick out the realistic amount of ice out this way.

So you’re declaring the NAM correct on Friday morning for a Sunday evening storm. I might have to ponder that one a bit. B)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

So you’re declaring the NAM correct on Friday morning for a Sunday evening storm. I might have to ponder that one a bit. B)

Not just the nam man. The gfs and cmc look almost identical to it now as far as boundary temps go. I guess it could be wrong.  But not likely with everything else moving towards it. 

1 hour ago, jayyy said:

I know NAM gets trashed, which is usually pretty spot on when we’re talking about 60-84 hours, but if the 12k and 3K are showing a major ice storm at the 24-48 hour mark, we need to be paying attention, as the NAM is better at picking up mid level warming in these setups than the GFS. 

I am with you. I have been out all morning, running errands at IKEA and Costco because I hate myself, but just catching up on things and I really think we might be underplaying the ice threat. Sure, 100% agree on the initial thump of snow, but as I have experienced in many a winter setup in eastern NC, you can have 2-3 inches of snow, followed by .25 - .5 inches of ice and those storms were the freaking worst. Feel like the threat is more aligned with the Rt. 15 corridor, just west of the city - but who knows. 

I sold my soul Wx soul for more money and a better commute, so my model analysis eyes are probably garbage at this point :D

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I live inside the DC beltway (and I have since 2011) so my expectations for what we can get in any storm are realistic. I will be happy if we get even 2" of snow falling in the late afternoon Sunday so I can go outside with my kid before it gets dark and have some fun. Sure it sucks we aren't getting HECS'D, but the trend has been clear on this one since Tuesday.  That's OK, it's been a good January so far. Ideal scenario = snow--->sleet---> drizzle. Hoping the euro can lock in that solution.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paleocene said:

I live inside the DC beltway (and I have since 2011) so my expectations for what we can get in any storm are realistic. I will be happy if we get even 2" of snow falling in the late afternoon Sunday so I can go outside with my kid before it gets dark and have some fun. Sure it sucks we aren't getting HECS'D, but the trend has been clear on this one since Tuesday.  That's OK, it's been a good January so far. Ideal scenario = snow--->sleet---> drizzle. Hoping the euro can lock in that solution.

I am with you - same location, same situation. With a 3 year old, unless we get a HECS, give me enough to enjoy Sunday and Monday. Then, the damn roads better be clear for Daycare dropoff on Tuesday morning!

• Like 3

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic