• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

Just as we have suspected for days now - many in the subwill need to rely on the WAA thump for snow outside of far NW zones. 1-3/2-4” before the changeover is a reasonable forecast for dc and Baltimore with higher amounts as you head WNW of the 95 corridor.   

The euro is indeed trending the way we need it to as PSU pointed out, but it’s trending too slowly. Going to need to see the trend continue in Ernest at 12z and beyond or else we simply don’t have enough time to get to where we need to be by the time Sunday rolls around 

2 minutes ago, The Ole Bucket said:

I don't doubt that the GFS and Euro are overselling the snow. But there's no way the NAM gets this exactly right.

Local mets are saying 4-8" across the Piedmont.. with a quarter inch of ice. That sounds about right.

Gun to my head I'd agree with that, but the NAMs do give me some pause. Think others have toted the possibility of that warm nose sneaking in earlier than progged and the NAM does do a good job with that. If both NAMs hold that look throughout the day, I think there could start being some serious ice storm murmurs. 

10 minutes ago, nj2va said:

You can't go wrong with any along the spine of the Apps from WV up to Garrett County, from Snowshoe up to Timberline/Canaan and north to Wisp.  Upslope totals will be higher in Snowshoe and Canaan due to their higher elevation.  Totals during the WAA portion may be lower in Snowshoe due to mixing in these setups (see above) but honestly, all of these areas will do well.  I don't know much about VA/PA ski resorts.

Seven Springs/Hidden Valley in PA are also on the windward side of the Allegheny Front and will get significant upslope snow, like Wisp, Canaan, and Snowshoe.  Virginia resorts will not.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WVDAVE said:

Seven Springs/Hidden Valley in PA are also on the windward side of the Allegheny Front and will get significant upslope snow, like Wisp, Canaan, and Snowshoe.  Virginia resorts will not.

Yeah I assumed places down there like Omni even are on the leeward side. They should do well in the storm itself, but not the upslope stuff. 

I know NAM gets trashed, which is usually pretty spot on when we’re talking about 60-84 hours, but if the 12k and 3K are showing a major ice storm at the 24-48 hour mark, we need to be paying attention, as the NAM is better at picking up mid level warming in these setups than the GFS. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, high risk said:

The NAM for Monday morning shows this:

ref1km_ptype-3.us_ma.thumb.png.172e64e5fa1b0a4ac738db3abc76aa37.png

and it's easy to look at that and say "some patchy light snow" in the DC metro area, but the 500 map shows an impressive vort pass right through the area at that time, so this is likely a representation of some heavy convective snow showers.

The h5 pass is further NW on the NAM, not necessarily shocking at range...if the euro/gfs h5 pass is more accurate I think a period of snow early Monday is definitely a possibility.  Especially if that feature continues to trend a little SE as it did the last couple runs on the globals.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Potvinsux said:

Will be in Snowshoe this weekend.  That is the issue right now, dry slot and mixing.  Snowshoe seems to switchover for a period of time with this type of setup.  At least right now, my expectations will be on the lower snowfall totals until the switchover occurs and back to snow early Monday.

I will be there also...I only expect several inches of snow/ice from the front side of this storm...but they will clean up on the backside once the winds flip to the NW.  That's perfect upslope flow and it's the kind of snow they get very high ratios, 20-1.  I could see them getting 8" from that late Sunday night through Monday morning.  

32 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Which Ski resort areas do we think will do best in this storm? Looks like good upslope in Snowshoe/Wisp after the storm? Do Timberline/Canaan also tend to do well in these setups? 

Also was looking down into some of the VA resorts and PA (Seven Springs?) Any thoughts from the group. 

My guess is they all underperform on the front and overperform on the back of the storm.  In the end they probably all get at least 6" and some of the more favored upslope locations like Snowshoe and Timberline probably closer to 10-12 with the upslope being the majority of that.  

7 minutes ago, H2O said:

VDOT brining the shit out of the roads today. Gotta love the stupidity to destroy our watersheds all for cars

2 minutes ago, mattskiva said:

You prefer we destroy our watersheds by littering them with broken glass, plastic and steel from cars?

VDOT is using beet juice and salt alternatives this year. Not joking...much less salt application.

• Like 11

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic