Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

One small detail I've been wondering about seems to have appeared on the 0z Euro (at least).  The annoying/helpful/disastrous northern stream shortwave makes a pretty good pass for the metro areas late on Monday.  And it's strong obviously.  Euro spits out some light snow with it.  I think that's very plausible and could add C-1" later on Monday.  

Models are starting to pick up on the mid level warming so it’s offset this trend in terms of snowfall results but we’re finally actually getting the trend we want since 18z wrt the NS SW diving in behind and it’s corresponding interaction with our storm. 

18z euro to 6z euro  

B31E7160-99B2-4A19-BB5B-27BA9650D15C.thumb.gif.ad2255d5c8892cd16a1af85a1a13beb3.gif

It was an incremental trend the last 2 runs. Results in a slightly weaker and further south h5 track initially.  It’s not enough YET to change our fate, and it’s been offset by models starting to realize the warm layer issues…but if that trend were to continue it could lead to the chance for some snow with the h5 pass.

It could also help with the WAA some if we continued to see this trend but we would need several more bumps and the improvement would likely only be incremental since that part is mostly baked in at this point because of how amplified and cut off the h5 is to our south and the lack of confluence over the top to resist the SE flow ahead of it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

NAM keeps that dry slot over WV (and out of western MD).  I wouldn't be surprised if I mix in McHenry for a short period of time with the 850 winds blasting from the east before the winds shift back out of the NW at 850.

Will be in Snowshoe this weekend.  That is the issue right now, dry slot and mixing.  Snowshoe seems to switchover for a period of time with this type of setup.  At least right now, my expectations will be on the lower snowfall totals until the switchover occurs and back to snow early Monday.

2 minutes ago, high risk said:

The NAM for Monday morning shows this:

ref1km_ptype-3.us_ma.thumb.png.172e64e5fa1b0a4ac738db3abc76aa37.png

and it's easy to look at that and say "some patchy light snow" in the DC metro area, but the 500 map shows an impressive vort pass right through the area at that time, so this is likely a representation of some heavy convective snow showers.

The Euro and gfs last night had a pretty robust band Monday morning as well. Would be nice to put a fresh inch on top of the frozen slop. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Potvinsux said:

Will be in Snowshoe this weekend.  That is the issue right now, dry slot and mixing.  Snowshoe seems to switchover for a period of time with this type of setup.  At least right now, my expectations will be on the lower snowfall totals until the switchover occurs and back to snow early Monday.

Yeah, agree with that on the mixing in this setup...hopefully the dry slot stays to the west over central WV or NW of there.  But upslope looks to be good so I think you'll make up for it there IMO.

1 minute ago, DDweatherman said:

Which Ski resort areas do we think will do best in this storm? Looks like good upslope in Snowshoe/Wisp after the storm? Do Timberline/Canaan also tend to do well in these setups? 

Also was looking down into some of the VA resorts and PA (Seven Springs?) Any thoughts from the group. 

You can't go wrong with any along the spine of the Apps from WV up to Garrett County, from Snowshoe up to Timberline/Canaan and north to Wisp.  Upslope totals will be higher in Snowshoe and Canaan due to their higher elevation.  Totals during the WAA portion may be lower in Snowshoe due to mixing in these setups (see above) but honestly, all of these areas will do well.  I don't know much about VA/PA ski resorts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

yeah, that one is a pass. couple more runs like that and my journey to cville may get canceled. think I can wait till Sunday morning to make the call.

ice + wind = cya, I'm out. 

I don't doubt that the GFS and Euro are overselling the snow. But there's no way the NAM gets this exactly right.

Local mets are saying 4-8" across the Piedmont.. with a quarter inch of ice. That sounds about right.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic