Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

Just now, Imgoinhungry said:

Someone refresh my memory.  We had an awful icestorm in... 2008?  Had to be the worst since I have lived in DC metro area.

February 2007. Upper Montgomery County into SE Frederick and Carroll had an event in 2018 where 0.3" to 0.4" happened...pulled a bunch of meters off houses and caused fires.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

If you are traveling between DC and Richmond tomorrow, be sure to use 95. It’s faster in these situations B)

That’s literally the best one I may have ever seen on this board lmfao.. 

Surface wise I thought the GFS produced a much better track, as it finally skirts under DC just south. I would gamble heavy if that came to fruition although I’d like to see h5 look just a tick better if I’m in DC proper and that area 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Gfs has the best surface low pass yet and somehow it dropped western snow totals. Maybe it's starting to get a better idea about upper air temps. 

My method for snowfall anticipation is to take the precip amount an multiply by 12. Works occasionally. The hell with models and their data and physics and stuff

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The globals have locked into the evolution and path of the storm, now it’s time for the meso’s and the finer details. The 6z NAM in particular, but also the ICON and GFS, are recognizing that the cold air isn’t going to be scoured out very fast particularly in the western burbs, so it looks like we may be dealing with more of a snow to ice regime than snow to rain. Could make this storm impact worse than last Mon.

2 hours ago, Ji said:

Didn't see a reason why it changed so much. The upper levels weren't that much different

A bunch of people have said this but with the track and vigor of this low, there is no stopping a mid level destruction from rushing in anywhere near or east of the low. Unforgiving setup in the mids. My 3-4" call for my yard is predicated on 2-3 hours of mod/hvy snowfall tops before other, less enjoyable stuff happens. I may not get that much but it is the heart of cold season and conditions leading in are good. We'll see 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 6Z EURO 

0477AFC4-7B85-4808-A97F-909AA209CD5E.png

Am I wrong in thinking that snow totals are overdone in the Piedmont here? I've seen this kind of thing plenty of times in my 11 years in Charlottesville and I have to imagine that a lot more of that liquid is gonna be sleet and FRZ than what the Euro is showing. The Valley and I-81 are gonna be blitzed but I have this feeling that it will be 28-29F at the surface just east of the Blue Ridge but pelting sleet and then pouring freezing rain come midnight...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

A bunch of people have said this but with the track and vigor of this low, there is no stopping a mid level destruction from rushing in anywhere near or east of the low. Unforgiving setup in the mids. My 3-4" call for my yard is predicated on 2-3 hours of mod/hvy snowfall tops before other, less enjoyable stuff happens. I may not get that much but it is the heart of cold season and conditions leading in are good. We'll see 

I think we get one of those "walls of snow" that comes in from the SW hot and heavy... then we see how long we can hold on before the pingers start.  If we can get the snow in here by let's say 19z... and get 4 to 6 hours of heavy snowfall... I would take that before we mix.  Also seems that the dry slot will be moving through our area too on most models... so hopefully by the time we get above freezing its just some light rain and the dry slot ends our precip so we can at least enjoy the snow and ice that is left lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Ole Bucket said:

Am I wrong in thinking that snow totals are overdone in the Piedmont here? I've seen this kind of thing plenty of times in my 11 years in Charlottesville and I have to imagine that a lot more of that liquid is gonna be sleet and FRZ than what the Euro is showing. I-81 is gonna be blitzed but I have this feeling that it will be 28-29F at the surface but pelting sleet and then pouring freezing rain come midnight...

The 10:1 snow maps suck in situations where there is warming aloft/mixing. The Kuchera map posted above is better.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Ole Bucket said:

Am I wrong in thinking that snow totals are overdone in the Piedmont here? I've seen this kind of thing plenty of times in my 11 years in Charlottesville and I have to imagine that a lot more of that liquid is gonna be sleet and FRZ than what the Euro is showing. The Valley and I-81 are gonna be blitzed but I have this feeling that it will be 28-29F at the surface just east of the Blue Ridge but pelting sleet and then pouring freezing rain come midnight...

We definitely go above freezing upstairs between 7pm and 1 am on Mon.  Exactly when your location loses the mid levels will determine the exact snow amounts.  That being said, this is a quick hitter, with most precipitation out of here by 1am.  

E7BEFF6C-5541-4088-B1EC-8A5E546E6F27.png

2437AB34-CDD2-4A4D-9791-701F017960FD.png

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic