Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

9 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Jan. 2016 was locked in from basically a week out. There was one Euro run that went south but came right back. That was an insane week. 

GB 16 what a storm. We KNEW we were gonna get demolished. 27 inches of snow in Dale City on a level. Plows were having such a hard time! Some of them kind of bounced off the pack lol. I was digging and digging and digging! First I made a path for my Dad's car to the street, which was in fact a wall of snow. What little the plows did, made it worse! Then my neighbor wanted me to chop thru a 7 foot drift in front of her front door and windows! My phone was going off over and over and over again! I was getting slightly tired then the other neighbors started up: You love snow, Jeb! Dig ME out! The other neighbor: All you ever do is go on and on and on about that weather forum! When are you gonna dig me out? Yeah I had talked myself right into having to dig everyone out. People joked about the so-called Jebman Standard (Dig at least 8 feet around all cars lol). I was in over my head, lol - I never realized people read American Weather Forums in my neighborhood lmao

And so it went. Yeah I dug so much snow, I was digging it in my exhausted dreams, for days.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Jan. 2016 was locked in from basically a week out. There was one Euro run that went south but came right back. That was an insane week. 

Even jan 2016 had a hiccup run here and there that caused mini-panics. This one? This one hasn't dealt one bit of hope for something bigger for those of us on the edge since Monday.  Every run, low gets pulled inland. Every time, without fail. It's frustrating. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jebman said:

GB 16 what a storm. We KNEW we were gonna get demolished. 27 inches of snow in Dale City on a level. Plows were having such a hard time! Some of them kind of bounced off the pack lol. I was digging and digging and digging! First I made a path for my Dad's car to the street, which was in fact a wall of snow. What little the plows did, made it worse! Then my neighbor wanted me to chop thru a 7 foot drift in front of her front door and windows! My phone was going off over and over and over again! I was getting slightly tired then the other neighbors started up: You love snow, Jeb! Dig ME out! The other neighbor: All you ever do is go on and on and on about that weather forum! When are you gonna dig me out? Yeah I had talked myself right into having to dig everyone out.

And so it went. Yeah I dug so much snow, I was digging it in my exhausted dreams, for days.

The lesson: Be careful about gushing about snow to people withim shoveling distance...lest they use your snow loving against you...with back-breaking results, lol

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I've always wondered why that is

cold air damming is still pretty fierce down there and storm tracks are typically such that they get big warm layers overhead (hence freezing rain).  You move north, the less likely you have such layers.  You move south, and that wedge isn't as strong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

True, but what was nice was there was a SE shift with the low a bit... and no rain for DC compared to 18z

In true mid-atl forum fashion, its every weenie for themselves and I’m now only paying attention to the western area/mountains.  :P

but in all seriousness, would like to see the thump/sleet/ice/dry slot scenario for dc and no rain for the 95 corridor.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pazzo83 said:

cold air damming is still pretty fierce down there and storm tracks are typically such that they get big warm layers overhead (hence freezing rain).  You move north, the less likely you have such layers.  You move south, and that wedge isn't as strong.

Now does that have to do with their geography (or perhaps the proper term is topography?) Is their elevation such that it's still cold enough for frozen previl, yet not cold enough for all the layers to be cold?

7 minutes ago, nj2va said:

In true mid-atl forum fashion, its every weenie for themselves and I’m now only paying attention to the western area/mountains.  :P

but in all seriousness, would like to see the thump/sleet/ice/dry slot scenario for dc and no rain for the 95 corridor.  

You aren't the only one.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jebman said:

GB 16 what a storm. We KNEW we were gonna get demolished. 27 inches of snow in Dale City on a level. Plows were having such a hard time! Some of them kind of bounced off the pack lol. I was digging and digging and digging! First I made a path for my Dad's car to the street, which was in fact a wall of snow. What little the plows did, made it worse! Then my neighbor wanted me to chop thru a 7 foot drift in front of her front door and windows! My phone was going off over and over and over again! I was getting slightly tired then the other neighbors started up: You love snow, Jeb! Dig ME out! The other neighbor: All you ever do is go on and on and on about that weather forum! When are you gonna dig me out? Yeah I had talked myself right into having to dig everyone out. People joked about the so-called Jebman Standard (Dig at least 8 feet around all cars lol). I was in over my head, lol - I never realized people read American Weather Forums in my neighborhood lmao

Legen…..dary!

On 1/12/2022 at 2:11 PM, snowmagnet said:

I was in Fairfax/Fair Oaks. The 1st storm that week gave us about 2 feet. The 2nd storm (I’m guessing that was the 12th) was about 10”-12”.

1995-96. Memorable times! So much snow. So much shoveling. Wonderful jebwalks for all-time! The coverage on TWC was engrossing!

22 minutes ago, Jebman said:

9DAC021A-AE87-4CA7-ABC4-19B1303A16D7.thumb.jpeg.5374830a9c3e8e8a04c6772e5363170a.jpeg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

That is a catastrophic ice storm out here as modeled. .4 qpf and the surface never goes above freezing.

Sounding shows no issues until about hour 74 or so. Layer is around 800 and is shallow. Might mix for a couple of hours and then all sleet for a couple. Back to an all snow sounding at 81.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, yoda said:

Lol 00z NAM has SLP south of FL panhandle at 51

The GFS is nearly identical with the surface pressure field. What is with the obsession with the placement of the L on the map? Do people really not understand what surface pressure means and how there can be several relative minimums?

• Like 4

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic