Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

12 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

Name one system where that warm nose was over-forecast on something wrapped up like this.

I think this is going to be a bigger sleetfest than most are willing to accept atm. I'd be kind of surprised if DC gets any more than ~3-4 hours of snow out of it before pingers mix in. That elevated warm nose/WCB is going to kill totals east of the mountains.

Yup.  With this track it will PUMMEL the column and flip way sooner than those models show. 

Hell even when there is a great track that’s East MBY and DC flip to sleet for a while.  Every huge storm does this.  So people need to expect more warm air at least East of the BR. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

The one trend that continues and its not what we want...is a slightly more amplified SW each run.  That's what's offsetting a lot of the improvements people point out on some runs. 

Yep, and goes negative too fast. We want a pitch that comes in farther east. This ain't it. Take the pennies you get and cut your losses on this one.

It's an identical H5 track and MSLP is like 20 miles from last run.  Pretty much the same.  There were some minor improvements, again the SW was a little east and faster for a while.  But all that is irrelevant because we continue to lose ground in the 2 areas that matter most...the SW keeps trending stronger when we need it weaker and the energy diving in behind keeps getting shaper, digging more and interacting even more.  Those 2 things are offsetting any gains we get elsewhere run to run.  

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

Name one system where that warm nose was over-forecast on something wrapped up like this.

I think this is going to be a bigger sleetfest than most are willing to accept atm. I'd be kind of surprised if DC gets any more than ~3-4 hours of snow out of it before pingers mix in. That elevated warm nose/WCB is going to kill totals east of the mountains.

Couldn't agree more!  With these types of events, the transition to sleet is often sooner and farther north and west than what the models like to depict.  And if the parent system gets any stronger than currently projected - which is quite possible - that quick changeover is even more likely.

• Weenie 1

Just now, Snowfan96 said:

Couldn't agree more!  With these types of events, the transition to sleet is often sooner and farther north and west than what the models like to depict.  And if the parent system gets any stronger than currently projected - which is quite possible - that quick changeover is even more likely.

If you like snowpack you'd want some sleet with the Euro as progged since DC spikes into mid 40's as the Low passes over 

2 minutes ago, Snowfan96 said:

@stormtracker troll needs to be pulled from under his bridge

9 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

Yep, and goes negative too fast. We want a pitch that comes in farther east. This ain't it. Take the pennies you get and cut your losses on this one.

The clipper system looks healthy on its own. Might be a cleaner event if it didn’t phase so quickly with that other west coast energy (or if it was the only system). Hopefully it trends a little further east towards gametime.

1 hour ago, csnavywx said:

Reminds me a lot of an old @Cold Rain post in the SE forum after a big bust there in Jan 2017. Obviously this is a very different storm, and not everything here applies. But I always try to keep in in mind.

1028037116_ScreenShot2022-01-13at8_15_37PM.thumb.png.af5282f8466285f8abc473374c6c7cdd.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic