• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

Where is Jebman? We need some positivity around here.

I could be in denial, but I don’t think anything is set in stone yet. Look what happened on Jan 3rd - from nothing to 6-12 inches with 48 hours notice.   I don’t expect to have all snow, but we could end up with snow to sleet and back to a thump of snow.  It definitely wouldn’t be the 1st time the models couldn’t figure out a coastal. I’m in Western Fairfax, so we are still in the game for a decent amount at this point, but I hope for some shifts eastward in the next 24. 

• Like 2

It’s not really going to be about latitude here. Our issue is how far west this storm comes, allowing an easterly wind to torch upper levels. You can be at the PA/MD border north of Baltimore or up in Philly or New York City and still see the same result as places further south than you along the same longitude. 

There is going to be an east to west snow gradient. Not the typical “as long as you’re further north” deal we have around these parts. Could very well see places like Manchester get 2-4” before a slopfest occurs as Emmitsburg or Hancock gets 6-12+, despite having a similar latitude. Could also see DC with more snow than Baltimore because of this. If this low indeed tracks over Baltimore or west, York & Lancaster PA will meet a similar fate as Baltimore.  

I've seen this script before, as have many (all?) of you being active in this and the Eastern US weather boards over the last 15+ years. My bar along and east of 95 here in the beltway region is 2.5-3.5" before the flip. Yes, with strong WAA and a retreating high the snow always seems to come in faster. ...but then the changeover seems to happen a little quicker too. I have no issues with the GFS snow maps given what we know now.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, jayyy said:

It’s not really going to be about latitude here. Our issue is how far west this storm comes, allowing an easterly wind to torch upper levels. You can be at the PA/MD border north of Baltimore or up in Philly or New York City and still see the same result as places further south than you along the same longitude. 

There is going to be an east to west snow gradient. Not the typical “as long as you’re further north” deal we have around these parts. Could very well see places like Manchester get 2-4” before a slopfest occurs as Emmitsburg or Hancock gets 6-12+, despite having a similar latitude. Could also see DC with more snow than Baltimore because of this. If this low indeed tracks over Baltimore or west, York & Lancaster PA will meet a similar fate as Baltimore.  

places further north will hold on to the column a bit longer than places south. it will probably even out when all is said and done, as it will be snowing in DC before it snows up our way. But we won't mix as soon as they do. 

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

places further north will hold on to the column a bit longer than places south. it will probably even out when all is said and done, as it will be snowing in DC before it snows up our way. But we won't mix as soon as they do. 

Precisely. I meant more in the way of the outcome (snowfall totals) than timing

2 minutes ago, RIC_WX said:

This whole thing could be a rainstorm.  But all I know is if the track was perfect 72+ hours out, no one would believe we are locked in.

100%. I said this last night. If we were jackpotting at this juncture, it would ultimately not turn out that way. The problem is, there’s no trend east really occurring. 

17 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

It seems like TT is showing different things on different devices. My Monday 06z frame looks nothing like anything anyone posted here...

GFS.png

That’s an interesting pic. Could be graphics, but it looks like a dual low center. Get rid of that, if it’s real, and this becomes a much different picture.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic