Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

8 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I never stop worrying about that

Stop worrying lol. This is shaping up to be a nice WAA driven front end thump for out there.

You root for those because they work there. For eastern areas in these set ups the heavy precip on the front end is almost always too far west, and the screaming LL southerly jet kills the column pretty quickly. I'll take a sloppy inch to pad the solid start from last week, but a lot would have to change for me to have more than a casual interest at this point. 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, mappy said:

Going to need you to tell me its going to snow. when you're ready ;) 

I’d be very surprised if we didn’t get some snow.  It’s not a lock yet but maybe a 90% probability of at least 1” imo. What we’re figuring out now is it some snow washed away by rain or a storm where we have a nice snowpack when it’s over. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Stop worrying lol. This is shaping up to be a nice WAA driven front end thump for out there.

You root for those because they work there. For eastern areas in these set ups the heavy precip on the front end is almost always too far west, and the screaming LL southerly jet kills the column pretty quickly. I'll take a sloppy inch to pad the solid start from last week, but a lot would have to change for me to have more than a casual interest at this point. 

The unshakable west track as of now is bad for coastal plain. Low level CAD might stick around longer west of the bay but agree that that column will roast quickly and a lot of that “snow” on those maps will be sleet/ice. 

This has gone from decent front end to it will do frozen for a little bit

1 minute ago, H2O said:

The unshakable west track as of now is bad for coastal plain. Low level CAD might stick around longer west of the bay but agree that that column will roast quickly and a lot of that “snow” on those maps will be sleet/ice. 

What I said...

4 minutes ago, winterymix said:

The 500 mb low slows down and deepens near Charlottesville.  If it slows enough the front end snow could be a quick heavy 3 to 6 followed by 12 hours of rain.

As modeled it’s not gonna go to plain rain everywhere. That could change, but for now I don’t think you are correct. At all

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, winterymix said:

The 500 mb low slows down and deepens near Charlottesville.  If it slows enough the front end snow could be a quick heavy 3 to 6 followed by 12 hours of rain.

Making absolutes about the entire sub-forum going to rain doesn’t jive with guidance or events with similar 500/surface tracks.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Most important runs in model tracking history today since yesterday. But seriously it’s time for a se trend, or at least a hold. Seems like we need either a less amped and a slower to close off low for an east shift, stronger high/cad to prolong the thump, or a little better west based blocking over the North Atlantic.

• Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, H2O said:

Locations just west/SW of DC are still in a decent spot to get in on the heavier front end precip. Not sure about ice- looks like it would be a quick flip to rain after snow and maybe a brief period of sleet. The LL cold should be scoured out pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Nah, I havent even had coffee yet. Kids are off on a school ski club trip. Distractions are lessened. But ty for noticing.

The GFS op took that track (right over or just east of.phl) that you and I both laid out last night on where we thought the surface weaknesses should have been tracking this yesterday, so the nudge finally appeared. Interesting.

I'm here for you Ralph and I hope it works out for you. We can't control the weather but we can pop some hopium pills together.

-RSC

• Haha 1

Looks like EPS is either about the same or very marginally east, but wider spread. Certainly got back some members taking the coast track. But overall still too far inland on the mean to be comforting.

edit: later frames look more like taking the path over Philly rather than Harrisburg on the mean which is nicer, so that’s good to see.

3 minutes ago, nj2va said:

EPS 500 track shifted east from 00z.  00z mean had the 500 low track over NW VA and 06z has it tracking through central VA to just east of DC.  I haven’t looked into the individual members but the takeaway for me is the 6z Euro and EPS seems to have stopped the westward push for now.

Thats my takeaway as well.  The H5 track noticeably east from the time it rounds the corner down south.  Hopefully these slight adjustments east continue today.

• Like 1

The westward trend has stopped. If anything, we’ve seen a slight improvement at 500mb and a resulting tick east. Of course, a low running over the bay and to PHL still isn’t great, but it’s better than a low tracking over Hagerstown to Harrisburg. We need to see 12z and 0z tonight take a meaningful step east to keep the hope alive for a mainly snow event along the 95 corridor 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic