Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

3 minutes ago, Random Chaos said:

Looks to me the biggest problem with the models is consolidating the low pressure in a single location. The GFS is jumping back and forth between 2 of these lows, and that seems to be what is making the sudden west jog jyst before it hits us:

758125C5-904D-49C4-8331-923C614B41D5.png

The irony is that models usually do the opposite when we want an offshore storm to move West, they chase the convection to the east and collapse the best dynamics there. 

Just now, nj2va said:

Didn’t high risk post earlier this week that the GFS OP and ensembles are basically run off two different parameters?  GFS OP was upgraded but GEFS wasn’t?  

He did.  But I think he also said that at that range the GEFS would be more accurate than an op.  Not sure whether that is still the case at this range.  

Just now, nj2va said:

Didn’t high risk post earlier this week that the GFS OP and ensembles are basically run off two different parameters?  GFS OP was upgraded but GEFS wasn’t?  

That was definitely discussed. But even so, we still weight the ensembles more heavily until about 72 hours out from most storms. At least I’m riding that theory for another 24 hours lol.

5 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Sort of.    I said that the GFS was upgraded early in 2021, while the GEFS was not.    So we can therefore not treat the ops GFS as a true control run for the GEFS.     As for whether to buy the inland GFS track or the more coastal track of the GEFS mean, I have no idea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, high risk said:

Sort of.    I said that the GFS was upgraded early in 2021, while the GEFS was not.    So we can therefore not treat the ops GFS as a true control run for the GEFS.     As for whether to buy the inland GFS track or the more coastal track of the GEFS mean, I have no idea.

Ah, that’s right.  Thanks for clarifying/the reminder.  Kind of fascinating the OP went west while the GEFS went east (with more suppressed solutions).  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ji said:
17 minutes ago, yoda said:
lulz
1642464000-6JnmkHWnZIU.png

Lol what's causing all the suppression

Yeah, that's bizarre. GEFS went east, but there are less hits for us as it seems like most are either now west or south. More of them seem south, at least the big hitters. Doesn't make sense to me given the low positions.

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Around 84-96 hours the ens begin to not be as useful and we begin. Looking at the lr mesos.

If i remember correctly once we get inside that range the Ens typically more or less follow the op. Every once in a while they diverge inside that range and then maybe we take a look. 

If you’ve been doing this longer than a couple years you should know we are not even close to a solution right now. The models are chasing lows all over the place as it phases over the Carolinas. How often do we see a low in SE Virginia end up in Harrisburg? Can it happen? Absolutely. Do I have any confidence in these models right now? Absolutely not. 

Stop. Taking. Runs. Verbatim. They are literally cartoon depictions. The GEFS shows you firsthand how f*ked the models are right now. Plenty of time to go. The trend tonight was clearrrly SE, until, somehow, we get a 980 low in western PA. I have a feeling it’s not hurricane season anymore. Let’s see what details the Euro gives us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic