Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

3 minutes ago, jewell2188 said:

Regardless of the airmass, doesn’t this map just look off given the track??? I find it hard to believe with a shitty track we even receive half of this….

Not necessarily…the low gets into southeast VA. At that time it’s snowing here. Cold airmass in place will take several hours to erode even with the SE flow. From there yea the low moves N instead of NE and eventually that warms us but until it gets up into central VA were probably ok. And once it gets to us we probably dry slot. Getting it to our south before it turns north is huge here.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I don’t thunk 18z eps was west. It just was deeper due to a few more amped members and less outliers.  So there was the illusion of a west shift by adding some more isobars and colors within the broader low position of 12z. The axis of the snow probabilities and means didn’t change at all and looking at the individual low plots they’re clustered about the same as 12z.  Additionally there are more misses to the southeast, at least for the northwestern part of this sub, then I expected. 

29FF20D7-407D-4832-807D-EE3F8FEF376A.thumb.png.0e4d0012a40275fb7ee370fa70ddfd32.png6C038748-2031-498D-BDB5-4126CDAFF03E.thumb.png.3546b5e92dbbd94b91476dde06a4f8e2.png

If we get a p35 solution on an op run I’d laugh myself to death. Everyone worried about too far NW then it just whiffs SE 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, WxSynopsisDavid said:

Still think the models are not handling the northern stream energy properly. Unfortunately we might not have a better idea until tomorrow or Friday when NWS ballon soundings are conducted and the data gets ingested. Honestly this is a close call right now for a large portion of this sub forum.

Either a big snow or a huge swing and miss with a mix bag. It’s like we are in the 9th inning, 3-2 count with the bases loaded. Tying run on first base, grand slam would win it. The pitcher is prime Randy Johnson and we are a rookie no name call-up from the minor leagues. 

I disagree. I think pretty much everyone sees a significant snow before any flip happens. A 3-6 inch thump is significant. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I don’t thunk 18z eps was west. It just was deeper due to a few more amped members and less outliers.  So there was the illusion of a west shift by adding some more isobars and colors within the broader low position of 12z. The axis of the snow probabilities and means didn’t change at all and looking at the individual low plots they’re clustered about the same as 12z.  Additionally there are more misses to the southeast, at least for the northwestern part of this sub, then I expected. 

29FF20D7-407D-4832-807D-EE3F8FEF376A.thumb.png.0e4d0012a40275fb7ee370fa70ddfd32.png6C038748-2031-498D-BDB5-4126CDAFF03E.thumb.png.3546b5e92dbbd94b91476dde06a4f8e2.png

Agreed Steve, can you email me a link to tonight’s zoom? 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I disagree. I think pretty much everyone sees a significant snow before any flip happens. A 3-6 inch thump is significant. 

I can agree with that…but what I was saying is the current state of the model data we are 50/50 from swinging in either direction. Either the sub forum gets a big time snow or the sub forum gets a mixed bag precip event. Even with a mixed bag event, yes, 3-6 is doable. 

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

18z euro control does the same thing the Gfs does. Cuts the low from Wilmington NC to Hagerstown MD. Lol. 

It has the same improved look at 90 as the op but it seems the more amplified SW offsets those other improvements. The storm gets to eastern NC then goes nuts. By then the confluence is gone and nothing but ridging over the top so nothing to stop it from cutting due north. 

The  18z Icon match the Euro and did this also.  Seems there's no avoiding that track, it stays further south initially and the HP moves offshore when the low's further south and has more time to pull it back west before it gets here.

We need it to trend 300 miles ENE to make a big difference which doesn't happen with disturbances tracking across the gulf coast.  That's why I gave up on big snows for 95% of the area this morning.  

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, jewell2188 said:

Regardless of the airmass, doesn’t this map just look off given the track??? I find it hard to believe with a shitty track we even receive half of this….

You’re underestimating the cold air. My guess is that many might not even switch over to rain, and if they do it would probably be brief as long as you aren’t way east of the low.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

That's the big thing, focusing on track and tunnel visioning on the chances that the low either ends up east of the bay or in Cleveland is foolhardy. Take away 1-3 degrees in the lower parts of the column for as little as a couple hours and suddenly everyone west of the bay is looking at a potential warning or better level event. That's a good event, especially with what looks like a good pattern for the rest of January. We don't need a blizzard, just juice the thump and avoid the slop by getting put in the dry slot once we torch and this will be nice.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If you draw a line straight south out of dc there are more lows west of that line than at 12z. Some are west of me

26 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I’m probably making it sound worse than it is. The 18z euro control (and it looked very similar at 90 to the op euro so I think it’s safe to say this is about what the 18z euro was just lower resolution) was fine. Just saying given what it looked like at 90-100 hours a but shocking the low ends up over Hagerstown.  But this seems acceptable Imo.  We can thank the cold airmass in place for these results despite the track. 

7y3We87.png

For a mean, this seems pretty darn acceptable.   

22 minutes ago, jewell2188 said:

Although rare, there was a storm (I think 2015?) where the low went over/west of us but there was so much antecedent cold that we got mostly snow before the slot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LeesburgWx said:

DT aleet for his website crashing :lol:

87ECAA18-3322-46B5-8AC6-2E247B469ADC.jpeg

Oh for crying out loud. Cut me a break….welcome to the party DT. Pull up a chair and get comfortable. If I had a dollar for every message I received today on my Facebook page regarding Storm specifics I could probably afford a down payment on a car

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

32, everybody eats

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah, not sure what this discussion is all about. I can't even remember how many bad track storms dropped 3-6" around the area. They aren't rare.  Many of them had much worse conditions leading in. Bad analysis. 

• Like 5

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic