Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

1 minute ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I need to ask.....

Why is that NS SW phasing with our storm rather than acting as a kicker?  

I’d say that has to do with mass, space-time curvature and lack of anything in between. They are acting like magnets.

Of course I have no real clue

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18z euro control does the same thing the Gfs does. Cuts the low from Wilmington NC to Hagerstown MD. Lol. 

It has the same improved look at 90 as the op but it seems the more amplified SW offsets those other improvements. The storm gets to eastern NC then goes nuts. By then the confluence is gone and nothing but ridging over the top so nothing to stop it from cutting due north. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Starting to pile up a lot of support for an overhead track. The door for a clean snowstorm is getting awful close to closing for a lot of us. On the other hand, it also looks like a lot of us are going to get more than a little snow. Hard to complain there. The heater continues

That snow would be followed and potentially washed away by very heavy rain though, am I right about that? Specifically near the Metros. 

I’m probably making it sound worse than it is. The 18z euro control (and it looked very similar at 90 to the op euro so I think it’s safe to say this is about what the 18z euro was just lower resolution) was fine. Just saying given what it looked like at 90-100 hours a but shocking the low ends up over Hagerstown.  But this seems acceptable Imo.  We can thank the cold airmass in place for these results despite the track. 

7y3We87.png

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Starting to pile up a lot of support for an overhead track. The door for a clean snowstorm is getting awful close to closing for a lot of us. On the other hand, it also looks like a lot of us are going to get more than a little snow. Hard to complain there. The heater continues

The heater may just be starting to heat up!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

18z euro control does the same thing the Gfs does. Cuts the low from Wilmington NC to Hagerstown MD. Lol. 

It has the same improved look at 90 as the op but it seems the more amplified SW offsets those other improvements. The storm gets to eastern NC then goes nuts. By then the confluence is gone and nothing but ridging over the top so nothing to stop it from cutting due north. 

Still think the models are not handling the northern stream energy properly. Unfortunately we might not have a better idea until tomorrow or Friday when NWS ballon soundings are conducted and the data gets ingested. Honestly this is a close call right now for a large portion of this sub forum.

Either a big snow or a huge swing and miss with a mix bag. It’s like we are in the 9th inning, 3-2 count with the bases loaded. Tying run on first base, grand slam would win it. The pitcher is prime Randy Johnson and we are a rookie no name call-up from the minor leagues. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

So what your saying is the likely hood of significant snow for the majority is not likely and the chances of it going back in our favor is closing fast?

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I’m probably making it sound worse than it is. The 18z euro control (and it looked very similar at 90 to the op euro so I think it’s safe to say this is about what the 18z euro was just lower resolution) was fine. Just saying given what it looked like at 90-100 hours a but shocking the low ends up over Hagerstown.  But this seems acceptable Imo.  We can thank the cold airmass in place for these results despite the track. 

7y3We87.png

Regardless of the airmass, doesn’t this map just look off given the track??? I find it hard to believe with a shitty track we even receive half of this….

1 minute ago, jewell2188 said:

Regardless of the airmass, doesn’t this map just look off given the track??? I find it hard to believe with a shitty track we even receive half of this….

Agreed. Climatology speaks volumes here, so do analogs. What is shown is not a typical end result to the depicted storm evolution and track

I don’t thunk 18z eps was west. It just was deeper due to a few more amped members and less outliers.  So there was the illusion of a west shift by adding some more isobars and colors within the broader low position of 12z. The axis of the snow probabilities and means didn’t change at all and looking at the individual low plots they’re clustered about the same as 12z.  Additionally there are more misses to the southeast, at least for the northwestern part of this sub, then I expected. 

29FF20D7-407D-4832-807D-EE3F8FEF376A.thumb.png.0e4d0012a40275fb7ee370fa70ddfd32.png6C038748-2031-498D-BDB5-4126CDAFF03E.thumb.png.3546b5e92dbbd94b91476dde06a4f8e2.png

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Steve25 said:

Is this technically what the model is saying the "end result" will be though? Or is this just the total snowfall from before the changeover, then you use your imagination to figure out how much of it gets wiped away by rain? 

Total snowfall.  It doesn’t tell you what will actually be on the ground when all is said and done. There is also a “Snow Depth” map but I usually find it to be overly pessimistic.  

• Like 1

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic