Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

I was referring to the individual members on the screengrabs where it displays all their perceived outcomes.. I do agree that for a mean it would be a bit more tricky.

It's already a lower resolution run, so calculating a Kuchera ratio is based on a level of detail and precision that doesn't make sense for ensembles.

The point of the ensembles is to show the big picture, especially more than a few days away when things are too uncertain to rely on just the operational run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

Mapping 101

Always Include a Legend 

Reminds me of when I took calculus in high school.  The teacher pounded into our brains to NEVER forget the "dx" in an integral and to NEVER forget to add the constant in the solution of an indefinite integral!  He always said, before an exam, "remember...minus 1/2 point for every missed 'dx' and every missed '+ C' "!!!!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

To be fair over the last 36 hours all the solutions among the more reliable globals have been between a coastal hugger and an inside runner. They all track the low somewhere through central or eastern NC and at our latitude between the Delmarva and Dulles. For 120 hours away that’s remarkably narrow goalposts imo.  It’s just that we’re on a razors edge between a significant snowstorm or something less impactful. But 30 years ago we likely would be looking at goalposts between Indiana and Bermuda for the track at 5 days out!  We’re now talking about details at day 5 we couldn’t imagine at day 2 when I first got into this game.  

howard violenty disagrees

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

The apparent “jump” west is somewhat of an artifact of where the graphics routine plots an L. What’s happening physically is the storm is occluding and becoming vertically stacked as it moves through VA. 

I'll always root for the eye of a stacked low to pass over my house. Literally clearish skies. Lol. Would be at night tho unless I'm bad at time. 

15 minutes ago, Warm Nose said:

Joe B keeps saying March, 1994 is an analog.

FI7DniaXEAII3Uw?format=png&name=900x900

Of course he does it’s State Colleges biggest snowstorm ever. Lol. But it is a good analog but so is an early Jan 94 storm and Jan 12 96 and Feb 14 and there was a storm in December 2012 somewhat similar and they all had slightly different end results. He chooses the one that gave him 28” of course lol.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

GEFS supports that in all honesty. I cant ever remember a track like the GFS is spitting out. The GEFS would be a classic bomb for just about everyone in here. Except the Eastern Shore folks. 

Bob mentioned this earlier as a reminder…the GFS was upgraded, the GEFS was not. High Risk mentioned the possible implications yesterday. With that said, the mock up track PSU drew makes more sense given other features of the storm. 

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

The good news is this is not likely to be the final solution. The bad news is this is not likely to be the final solution.

I thought it was a fine run tbh. The low isn’t going to go where the gfs shows

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fozz said:

It's already a lower resolution run, so calculating a Kuchera ratio is based on a level of detail and precision that doesn't make sense for ensembles.

The point of the ensembles is to show the big picture, especially more than a few days away when things are too uncertain to rely on just the operational run.

It's well SE of the OP from what I can see....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Guys remember the old 5 day business planner in the 90s sponsored by Juan Valdez and Days Inn?  Today the storm would have been on the very last day of that forecast. How seriously did anyone take the day 5 of that thing?  Would we have dreamed of discussing the meso scale details we are right now?  Yes maybe this should temper our enthusiasm some but my real point is to be amazed and how far we’ve come!  

I used to live and die by that thing all winter long.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

If for some reason it's a fail in Gainesville, I can always look to the hills west of me for the snow.

You know we are not close enough to game time where the low couldn’t keep sliding SE…open it up at h5 keep it positive titled and further south …mix in some extra confluence and boom …we are smoking cirrus…likely no…impossible well who knows but my time on this earth has told me nothing is a lock.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dukeblue219 said:

Quick question - at what stage do the ensemble means perform the averaging? Is it done at a low level, averaging pressures and temperatures and then generating output products? Or is it at the very end, averaging (for example) every output snowfall together? 

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure snowfall maps are made with mean at the very end. This is why you’ll sometimes see a mean of 1” snowfall when 1 member has a blizzard but the others have 45 degrees and sunny. 

16 minutes ago, dukeblue219 said:

Quick question - at what stage do the ensemble means perform the averaging? Is it done at a low level, averaging pressures and temperatures and then generating output products? Or is it at the very end, averaging (for example) every output snowfall together? 

IMO, inside 72 to 84 hr their worth is diminished.

34 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'll always root for the eye of a stacked low to pass over my house. Literally clearish skies. Lol. Would be at night tho unless I'm bad at time. 

Root for it because you will radiate back down and it will help the column go under 0F

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

You know we are not close enough to game time where the low couldn’t keep sliding SE…open it up at h5 keep it positive titled and further south …mix in some extra confluence and boom …we are smoking cirrus…likely no…impossible well who knows but my time on this earth has told me nothing is a lock.   

Brother, you need to again start drinking heavily!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

18z Euro appears faster

Through 66 it is (good).  SW slightly east of 12z and less ridging and lower heights in front of it. High is slightly south. Slight improvements from what I can see.  Obviously though we don’t know about the most important part which is the phase that happens later. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic