Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

19 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

I think we’ve seen just about all the possibilities so will be time to replay all the possible outcomes thru Friday.

The cold high will again be the determinant and we need about 30.20+ to keep the low from moving due north .  30.00 at game time won’t do it. 

To be fair over the last 36 hours all the solutions among the more reliable globals have been between a coastal hugger and an inside runner. They all track the low somewhere through central or eastern NC and at our latitude between the Delmarva and Dulles. For 120 hours away that’s remarkably narrow goalposts imo.  It’s just that we’re on a razors edge between a significant snowstorm or something less impactful. But 30 years ago we likely would be looking at goalposts between Indiana and Bermuda for the track at 5 days out!  We’re now talking about details at day 5 we couldn’t imagine at day 2 when I first got into this game.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

GEFS supports that in all honesty. I cant ever remember a track like the GFS is spitting out. The GEFS would be a classic bomb for just about everyone in here. Except the Eastern Shore folks. 

Us in five hours: “whoa - never seen a jump from the nc/sc border to Bismarck before!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Guys remember the old 5 day business planner in the 90s sponsored by Juan Valdez and Days Inn?  Today the storm would have been on the very last day of that forecast. How seriously did anyone take the day 5 of that thing?  Would we have dreamed of discussing the meso scale details we are right now?  Yes maybe this should temper our enthusiasm some but my real point is to be amazed and how far we’ve come!  

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Someone in the proximity of this sounding would be ripping prior to changeover.

gfs_2022011218_fh102_sounding_39.12N_76.77W.png

Be very very cautious of that. I’d bet good money there would be a 925-850mb warm layer in there with that solution verbatim. Driving pingers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be fair over the last 36 hours all the solutions among the more reliable globals have been between a coastal hugger and an inside runner. They all track the low somewhere through central or eastern NC and at our latitude between the Delmarva and Dulles. For 120 hours away that’s remarkably narrow goalposts imo.  It’s just that we’re on a razors edge between a significant snowstorm or something less impactful. But 30 years ago we likely would be looking at goalposts between Indiana and Bermuda for the track at 5 days out!  We’re now talking about details at day 5 we couldn’t imagine at day 2 when I first got into this game.  

Bingo!! Wish the youngsters understood this!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Guys remember the old 5 day business planner in the 90s sponsored by Juan Valdez and Days Inn?  Today the storm would have been on the very last day of that forecast. How seriously did anyone take the day 5 of that thing?  Would we have dreamed of discussing the meso scale details we are right now?  Yes maybe this should temper our enthusiasm some but my real point is to be amazed and how far we’ve come!  

No cap

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Can anyone with more knowledge answer why WxBell does not display GEFS members with the option of kuchera? Is it a resolution thing, or is it just purely a decision they made. Curious as hell. 

The GEFS mean is a composite of 30 different simulations. It would be very messy and not practical at all to try speculating on the exact ratio of the snow from an average of 30 different versions of a run. 

Just now, Fozz said:

The GEFS mean is a composite of 30 different simulations. It would be very messy and not practical at all to try speculating on the exact ratio of the snow from an average of 30 different versions of a run. 

I was referring to the individual members on the screengrabs where it displays all their perceived outcomes.. I do agree that for a mean it would be a bit more tricky.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic