Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

1 hour ago, Twilly05 said:

I think this ends up a true cutter (hello Pittsburgh) or it hugs the coast. Growing up and living my whole life at the top of the bay, I don’t remember too many storms going straight north thru dc to central pa. Just my two cents which is all it’s worth. B)

Where did the Low track in that storm in February 2007? DC got about 6 inches of snow, and then got pounded with insanely heavy sleet for hours. They were literally plowing the sleet off city streets... Didn't that storm come directly up the Bay?

9 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Stuck at work again today. First chance I have had to look at the 12z runs. I dont want to piss anyone off but:

hell yeah cmt GIF by Redneck Island

I think it's all good. Perhaps because MBY has already received 14" in Jan, including a little over 10" last Monday. With a La Niña, and being in the perfect spot 1/3, it's like playing with house $ at this point. I'd be more than happy to take 4-6" of clingy, greasy heavy wet snow while others have their turn getting heavier amounts this time around. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

This was the storm that caused the panic on Wednesday after the blizzard because the ETA run showed over a foot of snow/sleet for the region. And this was after the clipper surprised everyone with 3-6” from DC eastward on Tuesday. 
By later Thursday, the models had cut back QPF so the forecast was for a moderate snow to sleet storm, not another new crippling situation. 

I was in CHO and I recall we got another full 12" - which was shocking. But the forecasts had indeed caused panic and sent people out to the stores.

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Funny, we were told yesterday to ignore the JMA and ICON because they aren't in the same league as the other globals. Yet these 2 models show possibly the best outcomes of the bunch (location dependent). With that said, I am taking these and hugging the ever living p!ss out of them for now. Thank you. 

We're coming up on the 20th anniversary of JMAs last correct 5 day forecast

• Haha 3

Updated LWX discussion:

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

Confidence increasing for a high impact winter storm Sunday into
Monday...

Saturday will be the "calm before the storm" as an anomalous region
of high pressure (1040+ mb)resides over the northeast. This will
prime the local region with abundant cold air with many locations
struggling to get above freezing Saturday afternoon.

For the Sunday into Monday system, confidence is continuing to
increase in an impactful storm over at least parts of the region. It
is too early to speculate snow, ice, or rainfall amounts over the
local region as we are still 4-5 days from the event and there are a
lot of moving parts in the atmosphere that will be refined over the
coming days.

Saturday evening, there will be an ULL near the southeast US while
an area of surface low pressure moves north in the parent trough
through the southeast US. Behind this system is another ULL
advecting out of Canada into the great lakes Sunday into Monday
morning. This is resulting in the increasing confidence for a high
impact winter storm. The eventual track, magnitude of WAA at the
surface and aloft, along with other dynamical aspects will determine
where the cold air remains and where the heaviest QPF falls. All
precip types are expected across the region with this storm. The
further west you go in the CWA, the greater the chance for all
frozen precip. Ensemble guidance, deterministic guidance, and the
overall synoptic pattern a plowable snowfall for many at this
juncture. Continue to monitor weather.gov/lwx/winter for the latest
forecast. It should be noted that depending on the ultimate track of
the storm there could be a dry slot moving somewhere over the
region, creating locally lower QPF amounts. A lot will change with
this system over the next 4-5 days.

Aside from the potential hazardous travel conditions due to wintry
precipitation, strong winds may also impact the mountains and
metros. Coastal flooding may also become an issue depending on the
ultimate track of the low pressure system.

A period of upslope mountain snow showers is also likely Monday into
Tuesday as the low moves northeast.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

There are a lot of similarities with the evolution but that 96 example started to amplify and got captured much later then guidance suggests here which is what saved the DC area relative to the cities further north. That’s why I said the weaker and further east we can get the initial SW before it gets captured and lifts the better.  These can end well for DC but only if we can get the storm to the SE coast before it starts to lift north. 

Truth. I just see the make up with the strength of the LLJ and 700mb moisture flux can kind of combat the inevitable flip and keep the storm within reason for the DC metro area. A 3-6"/4-8" with more north and west is what I'm projecting right now, which is what happened in 1996. Evo is sort of similar, and it has higher grades for the 500 and 850mb height pattern which are good levels to look at with CIPS when it comes to similarities. Final forecast won't be out till Sunday with a first guess on Saturday. Still too much to parse to make a distinct call atm. One things for sure, it's not going to be lacking moisture. Have a theta-E advection regime most would enjoy during severe season. Talk about your influx of mid and boundary layer moisture. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, real said:

Where did the Low track in that storm in February 2007? DC got about 6 inches of snow, and then got pounded with insanely heavy sleet for hours. They were literally plowing the sleet off city streets... Didn't that storm come directly up the Bay?

I found these maps for that storm.

CurrSur-2200Z-13Feb07.jpg.dee8744878b14d47d26f5134d2f34545.jpgCurrSur-0300Z-14Feb07.jpg.9abc085620fc849806a9917a4f1def2b.jpgCurrSur-0800Z-14Feb07.jpg.7cbbb0e02e974a99e2ba3efa09f1a63d.jpgCurrSur-1200Z-14Feb07.jpg.8c37f5164f28a74a56e323ab383b317e.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

With so much model watching over the last couple of days, it feels like this storm is about to start tomorrow. But it is still 4-5 days away. There is plenty of time for adjustments. 

Especially 50-60-100 mile adjustments. We’re talking about numerous features at play, in which a small difference in strength / location of one or multiple of those features could make the difference between a 3-6” type storm and a 6-12” type storm - especially for the 95 corridor.  

We’ve seen this song and dance before. No guarantee of course this plays out exactly how we want, but I’d bet pretty solid money that the end result is different than what’s being depicted right now. 

3-6” thump before a changeover in the major cities with 6+ NW and 6+ for all are both still very much on the table. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

25 + 20 inches here. 

I can't imagine beating that stretch, ever. 

That week still doesnt break 2016 for me. Of course we got kind of screwed with the second noreaster out here (Only 4-6). I know a lot of you like multiple events. And I do as well. But I dont think I will ever see 40 inches from a single storm again in my lifetime. 

• Like 3

Just now, DCAlexandria said:

but what does it mean Ralph!

Looks ICON ish wrt how it wants to link a bit of the energy in the plains with the stj energy. Not sure honestly what it would mean. Less of a closed low for longer would be better,  so I guess there are some positives just glancing at where it may head after. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic