Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

1 minute ago, Twilly05 said:

I think this ends up a true cutter (hello Pittsburgh) or it hugs the coast. Growing up and living my whole life at the top of the bay, I don’t remember too many storms going straight north thru dc to central pa. Just my two cents which is all it’s worth. B)

I agree with part of this. The jump location and path are not typical.

January 12th, 1996 showing up high on the list of analogs for this storm now. I've seen it on the CIPS list for the past few days. Has a pretty decent look for areas north and west of the fall line. Almost in line with my current thinking. Not as dynamic with the 5H pattern, but similar positions of the mean tough and 850mb flow pattern expected. Interesting

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Twilly05 said:

I think this ends up a true cutter (hello Pittsburgh) or it hugs the coast. Growing up and living my whole life at the top of the bay, I don’t remember too many storms going straight north thru dc to central pa. Just my two cents which is all it’s worth. B)

Agreed, the track seems wacky. Time will tell tho I guess 

9 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Lol try to match the legend with that map. @mappy ain’t gonna give this a stamp of approval lol

my eye twitched when he posted it without the legend

I think my whole body did when he posted it with a legend that doesn't match :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

3 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

January 12th, 1996 showing up high on the list of analogs for this storm now. I've seen it on the CIPS list for the past few days. Has a pretty decent look for areas north and west of the fall line. Almost in line with my current thinking. Not as dynamic with the 5H pattern, but similar positions of the mean tough and 850mb flow pattern expected. Interesting

that storm gave 2 feet at Dulles.  I'll take it!

31 minutes ago, catoctin wx said:

Depending on what part of Frederick you are in.  I sit at 300 ft and generally do very poorly on storms that are elevation dependent

yea, i could see that.  this will be my first winter in frederick, so this will be a good storm to see how much that change benefits me from being basically right on the 270 split (which actually was a pretty good spot for summer storms for whatever reason).  saw your other post re middletown...i pass that area en route to greenbrier state park.  seems like a good spot and i'm assuming being on the west side of the catoctins helps a bit with these types of setups.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

i think i'm go run errands now after seeing this post lol...just let it marinate a bit.

• Haha 1

Couple thoughts/reminders for this type of storm, probably too early:

1. “WAA waits for no one”. Precip usually comes in fast and early from WAA. This is the “thump” we’re talking about. Snow growth usually is meh in this scenario (not fluffy dendrites), so ratios are typically a bit lower than 10:1.

2. The mix line (watch CC radar, hi @mattie g) is going to haul ass northward. Given the likely CAD in place, I’d wag that there will be more sleet than currently shown. That could cut down on the pretty colors on the snow maps.

3. This is a stacked and occluded low, so it will snow much closer to the storm track on the west side than is typical. Hence why even 50-80mi east could make a huge difference to snow totals.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Wrong storm. That was the Blizzard of 1996 which was its predecessor. This was afterwards. They got 6-10" at Dulles from this one according to the snow data 

This was the storm that caused the panic on Wednesday after the blizzard because the ETA run showed over a foot of snow/sleet for the region. And this was after the clipper surprised everyone with 3-6” from DC eastward on Tuesday. 
By later Thursday, the models had cut back QPF so the forecast was for a moderate snow to sleet storm, not another new crippling situation. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

There are a lot of similarities with the evolution but that 96 example started to amplify and got captured much later then guidance suggests here which is what saved the DC area relative to the cities further north. That’s why I said the weaker and further east we can get the initial SW before it gets captured and lifts the better.  These can end well for DC but only if we can get the storm to the SE coast before it starts to lift north. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic