Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Thump, mix, dry slot. Can’t tell how long it rains with the 6 hour maps, but I’d guess not a ton. 

Euro seems to be the best case scenario right now. Low end warning snow/sleet then dry for I-95 immediate suburbs, big storm US 15 west.

EDIT: Give it a 50 mile east shift and everybody wind bigly.

• Like 4
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, mappy said:

very Feb 2014-ish

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Euro seems to be the best case scenario right now. Low end warning snow/sleet then dry for I-95 immediate suburbs, big storm US 15 west.

With a stacked, occluded low, you’ll get snow JUST west of the MSLP track. So yeah, wouldn’t take a lot to stay all frozen for the metros. As @psuhoffman said, the phasing of the energy on the back is really the key here. Delay that a little or have less phasing and it slides more NE instead of N. If people are bailing on this storm, they’re crazy. I want all snow, but I’d take a 4-6” thump (Hi RR!) all day and night.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Thump, mix, dry slot. Can’t tell how long it rains with the 6 hour maps, but I’d guess not a ton. 

I feel like we've seen this script before so many times. But 6 hours of snow, with a couple 1-1.5"/hr rates before the flip, and overall averaging ~0.75+"/hr for that 6+ hour period = ~4-6" for a lot of us beltwayers before *hopefully* a flip to dry slot heavy drizzle vs. pouring rain. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

With a stacked, occluded low, you’ll get snow JUST west of the MSLP track. So yeah, wouldn’t take a lot to stay all frozen for the metros. As @psuhoffman said, the phasing of the energy on the back is really the key here. Delay that a little or have less phasing and it slides more NE instead of N. If people are bailing on this storm, they’re crazy. I want all snow, but I’d take a 4-6” thump (Hi RR!) all day and night.

Lol, talk dirty to me @WxUSAF. I agree 1,000% with you. 

7 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

500 low goes over us, rather than over Cleveland, so that's probably good.

Yea but aren’t we comparing this to the previous euro not the Gfs?  This was the 0z euro.
9CCC9312-AE32-4B45-8E56-63967C19524D.thumb.png.471d3a31f1208f6749f029c620755731.png

It was never showing the h5 west of us like the Gfs. So if your bar for this was the Gfs ya it’s better. But I was comparing it to previous euro runs. 

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Euro also has more phasing with the energy on the backside. That’s probably the worst part.  As others have said if you look at 84 hours and only at what’s happening in the southeast and northeast it looks great. What really goes wrong after is what happens up over the Midwest with that energy diving in and phasing. That’s why this suddenly pulls due north v taking a more typical northeast trajectory. 

that kind of phasing is typically hard to model that far out?

There's nothing to drive it north inland, it will redevelop off the coast pretty far south

f108 (3).gif

It's not a very cold storm though, but likely snow NW I-95. 

1537672149_f108(4).thumb.gif.a6338d0ab888779a71e4217c1198d95e.gif

-NAO, Pacific is favorable.. This H5 is not an inland runner. Pacific ridge is peaking north.. the Low in Canada may even phase more. 108 is big adjustments still. 

-NAO storms gravitate toward the coast. 

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea but aren’t we comparing this to the previous euro not the Gfs?  This was the 0z euro.

It was never showing the h5 west of us like the Gfs. So if your bar for this was the Gfs ya it’s better. But I was comparing it to previous euro runs. 

Yeah, I just didn't want to see a big move to the GFS solution.  I'd take the Euro.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

EDIT: Give it a 50 mile east shift and everybody wind bigly.

I’m less than 5 miles west of 15 in Frederick so I approve this message, but still rooting for a nudge east.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

9CCC9312-AE32-4B45-8E56-63967C19524D.thumb.png.471d3a31f1208f6749f029c620755731.png

Yea its basically in line with the GFS on 12z, but 0z was a perfect pass. As expected given the outcome we saw on the 2 runs. if we knew the GFS/Euro was as far west as this is going to go, we'd be in an even better spot. But a small east shift and its big time. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic