Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

Just now, DDweatherman said:

Euro at 72 h5 is slower than 0z and a bit deeper with our s/w over KS on the 12z. However, the NE energy from the low bombing is a good bit SW of last run. 

Edit to say By 96 its definitely about 100 miles NW with the wave & associated LP center, high in a slightly better spot with similar heights over the NE from 0z. Still pos tilted however

15 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

This is potentially my first big storm out west (missed dec'20). What are we looking for as good/bad? I see there is a sharp cutoff in amounts as you head west into north wva, does warm sector form out there? How much you thinking for the mountains? 

It’s too early to pin details but if this takes a track like the consensus now Oakland should get hit pretty good. Places west of the Allegheny Ridges could get warm if the primary holds too long. I’ve seen that drive a warm layer up into SW PA. But typically the upslope (pretty much any wind direction is upslope along the Allegheny front) saves the higher elevations from that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

whoa! That's VERY different from Parkville. Good luck up there and enjoy! Jealous. 

Funny, I'll be in Moncton, NB ;) Spending a year in British Columbia starting this summer before building a house in NB. I'll be sure to pop in now and again and share some wicked Canadian weather!

• Like 1

Euro also has more phasing with the energy on the backside. That’s probably the worst part.  As others have said if you look at 84 hours and only at what’s happening in the southeast and northeast it looks great. What really goes wrong after is what happens up over the Midwest with that energy diving in and phasing. That’s why this suddenly pulls due north v taking a more typical northeast trajectory. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

In 96 i remember calling the weather hotline everyday starting 4 days before the storm (I was 9 lol). But day 4 was 1-3 inches. Day 3 was 3-6 inches. Day 2 was 6-12 inches. Day 1 was 18-24 lol. So here is hoping this one breaks that way! I might call that hotline right now

I have this exact memory, and we’re the same age. I think I called that hotline like 18 times a day.

21 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

This is potentially my first big storm out west (missed dec'20). What are we looking for as good/bad? I see there is a sharp cutoff in amounts as you head west into north wva, does warm sector form out there? How much you thinking for the mountains? 

I’d say too early for me to wager amounts but an inland track like the models are showing would hit Deep Creek pretty good with frozen.  Depending on the track of the 500 and 850 lows, it could get us in the warm sector where we sleet but again, those details need to be worked out.  The upslope with this strong of a system would also hit us good as the LP heads N or NE from our latitude.  

It looks to be a high impact event out there as of now.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic