Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

One small feature I’ve noticed this morning is the vorticity streamer oriented E-W between our shortwave and the upper low in New England and Atlantic Canada. On my phone so can’t post a graphic, but it shows up very clearly at 84hrs on the GFS, NAM, and Icon through the Great Lakes. Seems like it does help lower heights ahead of the storm. Not sure yet how much it may shift things, because it’s a subtle feature, but I’m going to watch that today.

You talking about between hrs 72-84?

11 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

You all may have touched on this already...

The best case for us along/near the I95 corridor is a WAA thump that transitions to a light sleety/rain mix, or even better, drizzly dry slot, so the rain doesn't wash all the snow away. We've seen setups like this over the past several years, where that heavy rain phase doesn't come to fruition because of the timing of the transfer and a more pervasive dry slot than what was originally advertised 5 days out. 

I'll gladly take 4-6" of a WAA thump followed by drizzle. 

Same here, I'd gladly take that.  I like your point about the advertised "washout" rain that typically ends up turning into a quasi-dry slot with light sleet then drizzle.  Feb. 2014 has been brought up a few times and that's what happened in that event.  Maybe we'll get a little more light snow after a dry slot, too, if we're lucky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stormtracker said:

Yeah, model output 120 hours before a storm never changes.   Good declarative statement at this point.  Kudos.

I guess. Just don't see how this screams clean hit. Almost zero guidance supporting this so that statement is not unrealistic. Likely a thumpage to mix/slot then backend flakeage as the ull pulls thru. Pretty classic look for that tbh.

Two different ways to a roughly similar outcome now, why mess with that? The ICON has a high energy coastal and the GFS has a low energy associated low with a weak inland primary tracking KY to upstate NY. The low energy keeps the Atlantic from rushing into the circulation. 

I suppose the best case scenario is a high energy coastal that ripples back a bit to the east of the current ICON track. But given this is the third significant snowfall in two weeks of early to mid January, this seems quite acceptable if not downright astonishing. 

5 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

CMC is the worst outcome I've seen in this time frame, while somewhat similar to GFS, there is almost no definition to the coastal and most of the energy is shown with the inland primary. It would snow a bit and then thaw. However, it is the CMC so not to worry. 

I will quote a celebrity in here (H2O): “When has that model ever been right….EVER.”

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I’d love to see the maps and setups leading into 1996, 2003, 2010 at about 36/48 prior. Anybody got any maps or links?

Discussion of the models’ performance (with some 20th century maps) leading into Jan 1996, from pgs. 19-30

https://www.weather.gov/media/publications/assessments/bz-mrg.pdf

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

This is still evolving and I think the place it may go is toward our more classic snowstorms. The NAM and ICON are steps toward that. And if the cold air damming is more potent, even more so. That low transfers to Norfolk or the outer banks and it’s …

I'm not so sure. One thing most guidance is really hearing on is the deep and strong 925mb SE ripping flow. I suppose a cleaner transfer, weaker sw, and track of the sw under us rather than over the big cities could help keep flow vectors with less of a SE component, but that ll jet is sticking out like a sore thumb. Let's nudge that weaker sw under us and take our chances. 

Current National Blend of Models 50th percentile for the region through 00z Tuesday next week. This displays a pretty idea of what the current thinking should be given everything we've seen so far. Meso-banding and other parts will of course change localized amounts, but this is solid for a smoothed mean. 

62715718_NBM0112.thumb.png.f185c5a77fbdce8888b7223b53a82de8.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 16

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic