Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

3 minutes ago, Fozz said:

The one thing those three storms had in common was the amazing rates and dynamics, including the widespread thundersnow. I remember seeing that flash of lightning at Millersville back in Feb 2014.

I was there for that and remember it well. An incredible storm in so many ways. The thundersnow occurred when we were all hanging out sledding that evening. Crazy

3 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Interesting that Commutageddon got in there.  Wouldn't necessarily have thought of that, but I imagine it's due to the intense closed 500mb low (which Commutageddon had).

Very much the 500mb evolution for that one. Super dynamic ULL, which for the time being this storm also has. There's a pretty good chance of thundersnow somewhere in the sub-forum and NC/VA if this holds. 

3 minutes ago, Amped said:

I'll add 1/4/94 to the list

That was on one of the lists outside the top 10, but it was there!

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Sooooooo. The 12z CIPS analogs are out......

The top two analogs with regards to the 500mb height pattern at 132 hrs out are:

1/26/2011

2/13/2014 

2134152860_Analog2014.thumb.png.d740ef24dea1186e083f73dcd535fd5b.png

Lead up at 120 hrs out number one analog......

2/10/1983 

897461918_Analog1983.thumb.png.6c587e7c122996331afb7e11ae80a7b2.png

This doesn't mean we can expect those exact results, but it does show what type of pattern and setup we are heading into these next 5-7 days. Remarkable swing these last 18 hrs.

Seeing 2/2014 high on the list doesn't shock me...I kept mentioning it because the synoptic setup very much reminded me of that.  

• Like 6

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Seeing 2/2014 high on the list doesn't shock me...I kept mentioning it because the synoptic setup very much reminded me of that.  

This does have a lot of similarities, although the kicker here is it's showing a more powerful setup. These models are gonna underestimate the 500mb prowess up until game time. Euro I think has the closest idea to what I would expect with that evo

• Thanks 1

That storm had the WAA snow come in like an absolute beast. The solutions  for the 3 big globals today certainly made me think that there would be a heavy front end snow dump verbatim. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

This does have a lot of similarities, although the kicker here is it's showing a more powerful setup. These models are gonna underestimate the 500mb prowess up until game time. Euro I think has the closest idea to what I would expect with that evo

I don't think the ggem and GFS have the necessary resolution or physics to accurately depict the likely banding associated with the h5 low if that's what you mean.  

• Like 1

I don't think the ggem and GFS have the necessary resolution or physics to accurately depict the likely banding associated with the h5 low if that's what you mean.  

For the most part, yup. The GFS and CMC both had a bizarre back end of the storm with it petering to nothing almost. There is no way that happens with a bomb like this. That comma head would be a thing of beauty, which is exactly what the Euro depicted. I still think we are far from being able to parse the nitty gritty on the setup, but the trends are favorable for a sizeable system.....for now. Hopefully it can stay locked in. It's going to be a wild ride until Friday me thinks. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

That storm had the WAA snow come in like an absolute beast. The solutions  for the 3 big globals today certainly made me think that there would be a heavy front end snow dump verbatim. 

It sure did!  I recall going out in the middle of the night, there were already a few inches on the ground and it was puking snow.  Got about a foot through early morning before snizzle most of the rest of the day, then some of the wrap-around snow (though the best of those deform. bands didn't hit my area).

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Yeah, the 02/2014 system was definitely a climatological Miller A for us. IMBY (Crofton/central AA County), we had 7.5" WAA snow to start, and at the onset it was oh so cold, then the flip to sleet, rain, and drizzly dry slot. 

But the best part about it was the 3-5" of backside CCB snows the following day (afternoon). I had 11-12" total, but you folks n and w of the fall line had at least 12" with round 1 alone.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

D6_WinterThreat.thumb.png.137543470821dd3d6a42fea0e8c2c7d8.png

IMO the bottom right box should be checked for all. They seem to be weighing likelihood for both axes. I'm not sure they are utilizing those risk matrices correctly. Confidence has not increased a lot since yesterday. But potential impact seems clearly high.

• Thanks 1

That NAVGEM offering when applied to weighted model consensus means a 15 mile shift to the east and 0.5 mb deeper. Not a bad thing.

Pros don't always go on weighted model consensus, they sometimes pick a favorite or a consensus of two that they think have the better handle. But when a lot of models are showing very similar outcomes, a weighted model consensus often outperforms any one model taken alone. A good rule for the weighting might be 30% GFS, 25% Euro, 15% UK, 15% GGEM, and when time scale permits, 15% NAM. Go with RGEM instead of GGEM whenever possible. Ignore ICON and JMA. NAVGEM differentials are probably not that significant but if you wanted to give it 5% then if it's 300 miles east, that vector is 15 miles east. If it's 10 mb deeper that's 0.5 mb. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic