• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

2 inches and some decent bursts down here in MD. More than I expected, actually. The snow laid on every surface immediately too which is pretty rare here. Usually hours of time and a quarter inch of precip are wasted cooling the fricking earth as millions of precious snowflakes make the ultimate sacrifice. Heavy rain overnight but all snow for now. Pingers in DC though I think. So it's coming.
So you're not at home to watch this unfold?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

ALY bumped up totals a bit in SVT. Went from 4-5" earlier here to 12" now. I don't see that happening in the valley.  Also some 18-24" in the Stratton zone, this thing is moving pretty quick for 2ft. Seems a liittle aggressive, even if we can add some backside upslope. Going to be interesting to see this how this plays out across the area with all the terrain nuances that will be even more in play than normal with this event.

StormTotalSnow.thumb.jpg.6f33c022f8325ddaf83d71b1de803264.jpg

One thing I know is to never underestimate that area of southern Vermont during a setup like this they almost always over-perform. The terrain there seems to work wonders so even though it’s a quick hit I wouldn’t be surprised if they have some crazy rates for a few hours with the upslope assist. You know that area much better than me but I’ll be skiing Mount Snow next weekend so I’m optimistically saying they get 18+. 

22 minutes ago, LaGrangewx said:

One thing I know is to never underestimate that area of southern Vermont during a setup like this they almost always over-perform. The terrain there seems to work wonders so even though it’s a quick hit I wouldn’t be surprised if they have some crazy rates for a few hours with the upslope assist. You know that area much better than me but I’ll be skiing Mount Snow next weekend so I’m optimistically saying they get 18+. 

Its certainly a "bread and butter" setup for Mt Snow/Stratton/Mitch.  I think Ginx posted earlier the possibility of one hour rates in the 3-4" range,  couple hours of those and certainly higher end totals possible.  I'm just hoping to keep power myself on the western side.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

OT- I watch reruns of 'Law & Order' from the 90s and 00s.  Filmed on location NYC.  Half the time, actual snow or snow on the ground in Manhattan.  That did not happen in the 1970s when I lived outside NYC, and it doesn't happen now.

Is there a grand cycle, some multi-decadal oscillation, or bad decades for snow?

This is like your 3rd post referencing NYC today.

You're in the wrong sub-forum 

• Like 1

Just now, Connecticut Appleman said:

Really don't know what to expect out here in Litchfield County.  I would not be surprised with 2 inches or 10 inches.

Yeah, i actually think thats one of the hardest area to forecast for this storm. What is your elevation? If you're around 1K in new hartford, i think youll end up +/- 6"

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, GYX trimmed back the 18-24 stuff for their zones which I think makes sense. This thing has mixing issues and is hauling ass. Doesn't seem like something with widespread 15"+ totals. I know the idea is 6-7 hours of monstrous rates but we all know a couple hours of that will be spent on spottier stuff like always.

Gun to head I like a dense 12-15” in Randolph.

• Like 1