Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

21 minutes ago, SnowGiant611 said:

NWS Gray has us under a WSW, calling for 6-12”. Surprising for others here? They state periods of 1-3” snowfall rates (thundersnow, anyone) will drive total accumulations. All this storm would need to do is drift 50 or more so miles from its forecasted position and Mark and I could be in the Jack zone.

At this point as long as it's snow then I'll be happy. (I don't know about our neighbors in the Capital City :-( ) 

20 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Snowing in Atlanta atleast

yeah it's actually coming down good here in cartersville, not sticking to surface yet but boy am I glad I toughed it out and finished driving yesterday cause it looks like a dumpster fire on 81 now..WSW for Northern litchfield county, NWS alb says 5-12 before change, quite the range, I'd expect 6 imby maybe and a foot 5 miles away in Norfolk, they always get that microclimate snow with the extra elevation

• Like 1

If anyone is ever in the Albany area, a must see is Thacher Park on the Helderberg Escarpment. I teach at Voorheesville High School just below the escarpment at 400 ft. 2 miles west and you are at 1600 ft. They clean up with an east wind. The overlook at Thacher is at 1100 ish. 150ft. Cliff straight down and then very steep down to 400 ft. Amazing views of the HV, Taconics, Berkshire’s, southern greens and even the Daks on a clear day. Great trails and XC skiing. They must get close to double the snow Albany gets. Upslope heaven on an east wind. I can be there in 15 -20 min. One of my former students fell off of the cliff a few years back and lived. Only the second person to ever survive the fall. He fell 150 ft. Straight down and then bounced 400 ft. further. The rescuers repelled down and gave him a blood transfusion on site. Lucky to be alive ….needless to say!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

If anyone is ever in the Albany area, a must see is Thacher Park on the Helderberg Escarpment. I teach at Voorheesville High School just below the escarpment at 400 ft. 2 miles west and you are at 1600 ft. They clean up with an east wind. The overlook at Thacher is at 1100 ish. 150ft. Cliff straight down and then very steep down to 400 ft. Amazing views of the HV, Taconics, Berkshire’s, southern greens and even the Daks on a clear day. Great trails and XC skiing. They must get close to double the snow Albany gets. Upslope heaven on an east wind. I can be there in 15 -20 min. One of my former students fell off of the cliff a few years back and lived. Only the second person to ever survive the fall. He fell 150 ft. Straight down and then bounced 400 ft. further. The rescuers repelled down and gave him a blood transfusion on site. Lucky to be alive ….needless to say!

Grew up going up there all the time from Delmar.  I know we met up what seems like 15 years ago and talked about it over a beer.  That place is a weenie heaven and cool geography.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

Love that area. Kinda curious why the Euro is much more aggressive for the Albany area, but probably best to hedge low there and hope for a surprise with less downsloping west of the Hudson.