Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

3km NAM is pretty cold on the front end this run. Tries to give several inches here. 

Yeah HRRR has a few decent hours of snow here. Still not my cup of tea with the heavy rain after, but maybe you and Kev can net gain/net zero from it. Still gross to me though.

1 minute ago, JC-CT said:

Yeah HRRR has a few decent hours of snow here. Still not my cup of tea with the heavy rain after, but maybe you and Kev can net gain/net zero from it. Still gross to me though.

Yeah it’s not really that exciting unless we score 5-6”+ but I guess it’s slightly better than all rain. Mostly useless stat padder when you get 2-4” that’s wiped out a few hours later. 

But who knows, maybe we’ll get a positive surprise given the cold antecedent airmass. But usually this synoptic setup isn’t conductive to the positive bust…feels more like negative downside is the skew. You want to see a high being slower to move out than modeled to have a chance. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it’s not really that exciting unless we score 5-6”+ but I guess it’s slightly better than all rain. Mostly useless stat padder when you get 2-4” that’s wiped out a few hours later. 

But who knows, maybe we’ll get a positive surprise given the cold antecedent airmass. But usually this synoptic setup isn’t conductive to the positive bust…feels more like negative downside is the skew. You want to see a high being slower to move out than modeled to have a chance. 

Really is a tough call with this where we live especially me. And I’ve started learning that maybe 18z and 06z runs might not always be as “accurate” as 00z and 12z, and the latter two seem colder for the past three of their cycles don’t they. Still it’s a little frustrating to see 8 plus totals in litchfield county while a similar latitude of eastern CT gets maybe 1-2 inches. 

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I kept thinking about what Will and Scott said about how they had never seen such a hard left turn at 5h, really unusual.  This morning it hit me. This is exactly what happened in superstorm 93, mega difference is no retreating Arctic air mass but 93 track is pretty much spot on to this mini 93

500_Mar13.png

500_Mar14.png

I thought that tracked over se ct and RI....isn't this going to central NY?

6 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Really is a tough call with this where we live especially me. And I’ve started learning that maybe 18z and 06z runs might not always be as “accurate” as 00z and 12z, and the latter two seem colder for the past three of their cycles don’t they. Still it’s a little frustrating to see 8 plus totals in litchfield county while a similar latitude of eastern CT gets maybe 1-2 inches. 

Just wait til some "slightly right escaping " Miller B puts down 20 to 30 on the Cape and Islands while Se CT sees just a few windblown inches and NW of ORH and HFD/BDL smokes heavy heavy cirrus

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’ve prepared for the worst 

35 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

I thought that tracked over se ct and RI....isn't this going to central NY?

32 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That example also had a sharp ridge out west. This one had a ridge practically folding on top of it. 

850 and 700 went thru NY state. LP center tracked from west of NYC to NH Maine border

PSU1406.png

PSU1412.png