Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

26 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Snow in Houston is more a once or twice a decade thing, if you count dustings.  Ice storms (well, freezing drizzle) is more common.  If you watched TV of the Colleyville (near Dallas) synagogue hostage situation, you might have seen the snow flurries there.  1970s, I don't know about New England, but Long Island, a few notable exceptions like 1978, almost every cold spell ended with snow changing to rain NYC and points East.  R/S line seems to live just North of the Bronx every storm.

"Houston" yes but if you consider SE Texas as a whole, they get some snow.   Not often but every 5-10 years there's a good snower with at least 3-6" in some counties

18 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

"Houston" yes but if you consider SE Texas as a whole, they get some snow.   Not often but every 5-10 years there's a good snower with at least 3-6" in some counties

Galveston, on the coast, has done a couple of 3-6 inch snows the last 22 years, but Houston hasn't done much over an inch.

6 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Is vail known for cutting back on snow making 

I know that when Vail is about to take over a resort like Stowe , financial advisors nudge some of their clients toward buying Bc I believe they excel at increasing real estate values but what about snow making ...being paid well maybe you can’t say if they are known for pulling back resources there as they don’t generate the same “return “ 

We can chat off-line but the short answer is you need humans who want to work outside, in the dark, with loud high pressure water and air…and who will walk down steep terrain in moist cold environments under the guns.  It’s not easy and takes a dedicated person to want to do that in 12-hour shifts.  That’s one where pay scales will hopefully catch up to the need, maybe they end up like skilled tradesmen.  But that job can be a hard sell to many in todays society.

• Like 2

I kept thinking about what Will and Scott said about how they had never seen such a hard left turn at 5h, really unusual.  This morning it hit me. This is exactly what happened in superstorm 93, mega difference is no retreating Arctic air mass but 93 track is pretty much spot on to this mini 93

500_Mar13.png

500_Mar14.png

• Like 6

:damage:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Gray ME
328 AM EST Sun Jan 16 2022

MEZ014-018>021-161630-
/O.UPG.KGYX.WS.A.0002.220117T0600Z-220118T0000Z/
/O.NEW.KGYX.WS.W.0002.220117T0600Z-220117T2100Z/
Southern Somerset-Interior York-Central Interior Cumberland-
Androscoggin-Kennebec-
Including the cities of Athens, Cornville, Skowhegan, Palmyra,
Pittsfield, Embden, Madison, Hollis, Alfred, Lebanon, Sanford,
Goodwins Mills, Buxton, Limington, Berwick, New Gloucester, Gray,
North Windham, Gorham, Greene, Lewiston, Sabattus, Wales, Minot,
Turner, Auburn, Livermore Falls, Augusta, Sidney, Windsor,
Vassalboro, Waterville, China, and Palermo
328 AM EST Sun Jan 16 2022

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 4 PM EST MONDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected, changing to rain by midday Monday.
  Total snow accumulations of 4 to 8 inches expected. Winds
  gusting as high as 50 mph.

* WHERE...Southern Somerset, Interior York, Central Interior
  Cumberland, Androscoggin and Kennebec Counties.

* WHEN...From 1 AM to 4 PM EST Monday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous
  conditions could impact the morning commute. Gusty winds could
  bring down tree branches.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Heavy snowfall rates are anticipated, with
  rates of 1 to 3 inches per hour expected at times.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in
your vehicle in case of an emergency.

For a more precise forecast for your specific location...go to
www.weather.gov/gray..

&&

$$

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I kept thinking about what Will and Scott said about how they had never seen such a hard left turn at 5h, really unusual.  This morning it hit me. This is exactly what happened in superstorm 93, mega difference is no retreating Arctic air mass but 93 track is pretty much spot on to this mini 93

500_Mar13.png

500_Mar14.png

If I were deprived of all modeling data and just had to rely on satellite imagery, I would think we're about to get smacked. C'est la vie.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hoth said:

If I were deprived of all modeling data and just had to rely on satellite imagery, I would think we're about to get smacked. C'est la vie.

The nose of a strong mid level jet will lead to strong forcing for ascent with a period of heavy snow likely for Berkshires and northern Worcester Hills. Easterly low level jet will provide upslope which will enhance snowfall rates along the eastern slopes of the Berkshires and possibly the Worcester Hills. In fact, HREF indicating up to 2"/hr snowfall rates here overnight, especially in the Berkshires. Much of the 00z guidance trended a bit higher with snow accums. Incorporated hi-res guidance QPF to derive snow accum which yields 6-12 inches accum for the Berkshires and 4-8 inches for the northern Worcester Hills. Fortunately, bulk of the snow over the high terrain will be on the dry side as temps will be cold to start. For the rest of SNE, expecting snow accum of 1-4 inches in the interior low elevations before changing to rain, with up to an inch for I-95 and 128 corridor before it gets washed away by heavy rain.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

500_Mar13.png

500_Mar14.png

And then remember that common misconception, which everyone with some met knowledge likes to repeat: “the upper levels dictate the surface”.

But synoptic wave development is a positive feedback mechanism—the upper levels drives the surface and the surface drives the upper levels. If at the surface we have an arctic high anchored UL heights can’t be pumped over our heads and the phase in PA happens southeast of LI or the Gulf of Maine instead.

:damage:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENational Weather Service Gray ME328 AM EST Sun Jan 16 2022MEZ014-018>021-161630-/O.UPG.KGYX.WS.A.0002.220117T0600Z-220118T0000Z//O.NEW.KGYX.WS.W.0002.220117T0600Z-220117T2100Z/Southern Somerset-Interior York-Central Interior Cumberland-Androscoggin-Kennebec-Including the cities of Athens, Cornville, Skowhegan, Palmyra,Pittsfield, Embden, Madison, Hollis, Alfred, Lebanon, Sanford,Goodwins Mills, Buxton, Limington, Berwick, New Gloucester, Gray,North Windham, Gorham, Greene, Lewiston, Sabattus, Wales, Minot,Turner, Auburn, Livermore Falls, Augusta, Sidney, Windsor,Vassalboro, Waterville, China, and Palermo328 AM EST Sun Jan 16 2022...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 4 PM EST MONDAY...* WHAT...Heavy snow expected, changing to rain by midday Monday. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 8 inches expected. Winds gusting as high as 50 mph.* WHERE...Southern Somerset, Interior York, Central Interior Cumberland, Androscoggin and Kennebec Counties.* WHEN...From 1 AM to 4 PM EST Monday.* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning commute. Gusty winds could bring down tree branches.* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Heavy snowfall rates are anticipated, with rates of 1 to 3 inches per hour expected at times.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water inyour vehicle in case of an emergency.For a more precise forecast for your specific location...go towww.weather.gov/gray..&&$$

Snowblowing will be a bitch. Thinking of staying home so I can clear the driveway before the changeover

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I keep looking at it and thinking the exact same thing. I hate to even say this but even taking a peek at the water vapor Loop just bolsters that feeling. You'd swear that push coming over the Great Lakes would have some influence...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

500_Mar13.png

500_Mar14.png

The track is indeed weird. 

You don't get tracks like what the models are showing.

14 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

I keep looking at it and thinking the exact same thing. I hate to even say this but even taking a peek at the water vapor Loop just bolsters that feeling. You'd swear that push coming over the Great Lakes would have some influence...

That push is actually hurting us by tilting the trough. 

33 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Seeing snow in parts of the southeast is very depressing knowing that many of us will be all rain later on .

True..but we have a much better chance of seeing other snow possibilities this winter than they do. After living in the south for 10 years, there was one winter it snowed and parents had their kids out at midnight to play in the snow before it turned to rain. I say let them have this one. We’ll get ours.. possibly next weekend