SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Ya I was thinking the same thing???

What a joke for vail resorts  , season pass holders must be thrilled 

I personal train a woman who works part time @crotched mountain (insert joke ) and she said they had worst conditions of the 30 years she had been going/ working . She said they didn’t have most of their snow making equipment and she seems to hint like it could have been due to less resources due to Covid 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Then where does not have fluctuating problems with seasonal snowfall? Feels like you could move to a place that averages 150 to 200 inches a year…. And still struggle to see a foot sometimes.

UP Michigan leeside of lake?

1 minute ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Then where does not have fluctuating problems with seasonal snowfall? Feels like you could move to a place that averages 150 to 200 inches a year…. And still struggle to see a foot sometimes.

UP Michigan leeside of lake?

Maybe Jackson hole and probably Washington state Resorts 

Jay has the most wiggle room in East with constant upslope refreshers but even they need to lay a base I think  

• Like 1

This winter has been absolutely loose butthole man. I do have a feeling this storm over performs though. As my name suggests I don’t really know a ton about weather. I do know that a lot of members in here have noted how odd this system is. The uncertainty definitely creates a situation where busts are more likely. 

Literally have no meteorological education. Just speaking from watching storms since I was a kid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotSureWeather said:

This winter has been absolutely loose butthole man. I do have a feeling this storm over performs though. As my name suggests I don’t really know a ton about weather. I do know that a lot of members in here have noted how odd this system is. The uncertainty definitely creates a situation where busts are more likely. 

Literally have no meteorological education. Just speaking from watching storms since I was a kid.

I think the Mets have said it’s unusual how bad we are getting screwed not that there is much uncertainty with the track . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I think the Mets have said it’s unusual how bad we are getting screwed not that there is much uncertainty with the track . 

I mean I don’t have any proof for what I’m saying. I do think models might have issues with CC though. It’s a variable that I’m not sure is compensated for well.

I mean just last week a storm over performed for a lot of people. It’s not completely ridiculous to imagine a computer not being able to predict the future correctly.

edit: beer.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

CC isn’t real tho… I live in New Bedford and I know for a fact it snowed more and earlier than it does now. I remember it snowing in November somewhat frequently, and in December frequently.

57 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’m not used to seeing 2 Vermonters fighting with each other. It’s supposed to be a zen utopia over there. Tensions are rising from the lack of snow.

Transplants like myself, need to find the zen zone... NNE is a full mixing pot at this point.  Suburbia moves to the country.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I don’t know if it is though…

Kinda depends on how many decades one’s suffered or celebrated. For those born later than 1990? This is an unprecedented bad streak. For those born before 1990 it just seems like maybe it’s cyclic. 

having said that… I do think there’s a problem with the models slowing the flow down too much in the mid range and then having to speed it back up to a reality; problem with gradient and velocity regardless of Enso or Teleconnectors - might be the tip off that there’s something more deeply systemically rooted that’s causing that. Whether that cc or just an emergent problem with these advances that they’ve been turning out with all these new versions – in fact they’re pumping them out too fast for me to trust them sometimes

Oh … never mind. Thought you guys were talking about something else. 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Doesn't seem like it. I have heard there are pump failures, electrical failures, the entire snowmaking team quit on them, not enough water, etc. No idea how much of each rumor is true but they seem to be stuck in first gear either way and really not making progress on new terrain.

It's definitely possible to hire staff in NH. Bretton Woods seems reasonably well-staffed and they are still blowing snow constantly and adding to the open terrain.

Black Mountain is another one that desperately needs this storm. 

Does Bretton Woods require vaccination status to be employed?  From all I've heard, that is a major factor in the NH mountain communities.  Something as simple as proof of vaccination in the wrong political environment can sink a ship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Transplants like myself, need to find the zen zone... NNE is a full mixing pot at this point.  Suburbia moves to the country.

You must climb the highest peak and ask the sky itself to answer the ultimate question: is upslope actually fake snow like they say on the weather forum?

Then you will find peace.

P2130496-copy-e1484239767868.jpg&f=1&nof

• Haha 8

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Does Bretton Woods require vaccination status to be employed?  From all I've heard, that is a major factor in the NH mountain communities.  Something as simple as proof of vaccination in the wrong political environment can sink a ship.

I don't believe so. You don't even need masks in the lodge so I assume not. I have heard the lines at the Wildcat cafeteria are absurd due to the vaccine check requirement. 

27 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I personal train a woman who works part time @crotched mountain (insert joke ) and she said they had worst conditions of the 30 years she had been going/ working . She said they didn’t have most of their snow making equipment and she seems to hint like it could have been due to less resources due to Covid 

That sucks.  Nice little mountain. Hopefully they get it back

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Vail resorts fired their VP of operations  They are getting raked about shitty resorts

We normally ski in Maine, but I took my son to Attitash last season as a change of pace. It was my first time there, and I was shocked at how shoddy the infrastructure seemed. It was as if the place was stuck in the '80s; felt like I was in Hot Tub Time Machine.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

They do not. Bretton Woods is owned by Omni; they’ve been struggling with staffing (restaurants not open to the public is a big one for instance, and Fabyans has been closed for 2 years due to lack of staffing), but the mountain ops team is a pretty devoted bunch and the guy who runs the resort has been around since well before the acquisition, so that probably helps

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PWMan said:

We normally ski in Maine, but I took my son to Attitash last season as a change of pace. It was my first time there, and I was shocked at how shoddy the infrastructure seemed. It was as if the place was stuck in the '80s; felt like I was in Hot Tub Time Machine.

Another resort that used to do it right. Dang

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Vail resorts fired their VP of operations  They are getting raked about shitty resorts

It’s amazing for some of us.  My last paycheck before taxes was around $4k for two weeks. That’s a $100k rate over the course of a year.  Granted it doesn’t sustain that much out of season but we have never been paid better.  Not even close.  They keep throwing money at it, adding bonuses, increasing pay structures and we keep benefitting.  The service industry is getting overhauled.  It’s amazing to see and we are just along for the ride.  It’s not even close to being done either.  The next year or two will be awesome for rising pay corrections. The more people complain, the better we live.  As an economics person, I think it’s totally out of whack but I’ll ride the wave.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PWMan said:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, alex said:

They do not. Bretton Woods is owned by Omni; they’ve been struggling with staffing (restaurants not open to the public is a big one for instance, and Fabyans has been closed for 2 years due to lack of staffing), but the mountain ops team is a pretty devoted bunch and the guy who runs the resort has been around since well before the acquisition, so that probably helps

I also truly believe our mountain ops staff is one of the best.  Lack of staffing in ancillary stuff like F&B is pretty normal now.

Heres something I posted today about a couple mornings ago…

“A look at the Mountain Operations Team in action, and an example of how much behind the scenes work goes into keeping things running on Vermont’s highest peak on a daily basis.

Recently when starting the Quad in the early morning and running the daily checks, lift maintenance was getting a tower fault as the electrical loop wasn’t closing. The lift maintenance electrician was dispatched to the tower to find out why. He snowmobiles up to a communicated spot and is picked up by a winch cat still operating on the trail.  This photo is of the winch operator delivering him to the tower, which is then climbed to find the problem (its an extreme weather environment for electrical sensors). A replacement part is needed but the lift is safe to load chairs on with the mechanic monitoring on the tower.  He hangs out on the tower while the line is loaded with chairs from the barn.  Lastly, @mountmansfieldskipatrol riding line check brings the replacement part up the lift (which is stopped when they reach the tower so the electrician can retrieve it). Once the MMSP line check off-loads at the top, the lift is secured and the replacement of the part takes place. The FourRunner Quad is then good to go, clearances are given, and it opens to the public with only a slight delay.

All of this takes place before 8:30am in the morning on a cold, dark mountain and it’s routine work. Every time I see the communication, teamwork between departments, and skill that daily operations take… it blows my mind a bit. Even after 15 years around here.  Gratitude to all the people who work together to deliver us to our favorite terrain on a daily basis. 

B3525A5D-5DB9-4DF3-836C-B1872A6CD0BC.thumb.jpeg.517714273f9a39a20136bda85f4efbf4.jpeg

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s amazing for some of us.  My last paycheck before taxes was around $4k for two weeks. That’s a $100k rate over the course of a year.  Granted it doesn’t sustain that much out of season but we have never been paid better.  Not even close.  They keep throwing money at it, adding bonuses, increasing pay structures and we keep benefitting.  The service industry is getting overhauled.  It’s amazing to see and we are just along for the ride.  It’s not even close to being done either.  The next year or two will be awesome for rising pay corrections. The more people complain, the better we live.  As an economics person, I think it’s totally out of whack but I’ll ride the wave.

Is vail known for cutting back on snow making 

I know that when Vail is about to take over a resort like Stowe , financial advisors nudge some of their clients toward buying Bc I believe they excel at increasing real estate values but what about snow making ...being paid well maybe you can’t say if they are known for pulling back resources there as they don’t generate the same “return “ 

just got to north georgia and on top of 20-30 mph gusts at 35*, wet snow is beginning to mix in, looks like a rough go for the upland SC area and north of Charlotte with ice, they are freaking out here because 2" expected, more NE towards the NC border it's funny how much different the approach is... I remember many moons ago while working in Houston, it snowed, was like a once in 20 year thing, city basically shut down for an inch

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

just got to north georgia and on top of 20-30 mph gusts at 35*, wet snow is beginning to mix in, looks like a rough go for the upland SC area and north of Charlotte with ice, they are freaking out here because 2" expected, more NE towards the NC border it's funny how much different the approach is... I remember many moons ago while working in Houston, it snowed, was like a once in 20 year thing, city basically shut down for an inch

Enjoy!  Post any good pics

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

Snow in Houston is more a once or twice a decade thing, if you count dustings.  Ice storms (well, freezing drizzle) is more common.  If you watched TV of the Colleyville (near Dallas) synagogue hostage situation, you might have seen the snow flurries there.  1970s, I don't know about New England, but Long Island, a few notable exceptions like 1978, almost every cold spell ended with snow changing to rain NYC and points East.  R/S line seems to live just North of the Bronx every storm.

• Like 3