Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Fantastic elaboration that hones the oddity of what's portrayed in the models. 

I've been sharing in this sentiment.  I also am of the ilk that seldom really gets personally 'moved' by failures/successes, either.  But being human ( LOL ) it does admittedly feel unsettling when there are really both intuition, and data, supplying veracious counter- reasons that question the consensus - yet, the consensus persists.

Other than what I just annotated last hour, re the relay and final piece to this dog and pony show set to relay off the Pacific tomorrow, I'm out of a suggestions - if this doesn't modulate when that happens... the less than sensible, less than a-priori for matter, solution probably prevails I guess. 

The precision at which we get porked in this storm against a plethora of snow-bound analogs is pretty funny though…in a masochistic sort of way.

I have done this for 3 days now, but yet, I’m still shocked every time I look at the 4-panel map 24 hours prior to this storm hitting and say “this is going to be mostly a rain event”. It’s amazing. You’d think there was no way. Sure, we’ve had 0F to 45F rainers 12 hours later before but you could easily see it coming when you viewed the maps. This time, it’s not obvious at all until you get to lime T-12 hours or so. Truly surgical precision of getting shafted out of a MECS/HECS type storm. 

• Like 2

If basically this outcome prevails, it might be time to finally give the mid-range models their due. The GFS led the way like 6 days out - with the CMC, UK, Euro quickly following suit - showing this storm pretty far west in contrast to the ensembles, analogs, and synoptic analysis. Maybe the models aren't trash. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The precision at which we get porked in this storm against a plethora of snow-bound analogs is pretty funny though…in a masochistic sort of way.

I have done this for 3 days now, but yet, I’m still shocked every time I look at the 4-panel map 24 hours prior to this storm hitting and say “this is going to be mostly a rain event”. It’s amazing. You’d think there was no way. Sure, we’ve had 0F to 45F rainers 12 hours later before but you could easily see it coming when you viewed the maps. This time, it’s not obvious at all until you get to lime T-12 hours or so. Truly surgical precision of getting shafted out of a MECS/HECS type storm. 

Zactly!

I mean ... I think back to that whopper < 12 hour temperature recovery event back in 1994. It was late January ( you're better with dates than me ...). That was also a plain to see we were going to be porked by WAA fisting up the coast.  

I was still a fledgling Met back in those days, and so I was really in a frame of mind where, " ...I gotta see this to believe it..."     Lack of experience, combined with the 9 F at 8am on the Wx Lab monitor, with blue tinted dawn and flurries under the street lamps along the walk over, didn't lend to believing. 

But, there was no high pressure N... In fact, it was even less so than this one is presently modeled to have. The baroclinic wall/associated cyclone approached from the W, not the S like this one will.  That event back then really was a completely unabated rush on the cold QB, and the QB was definitely going to unavoidably take a sack.  

By noon, 9 had become 22. Freezing rain kicked in, which only accelerated the heat retreat - because once we started accreting ... phase change latency kicked in and sent the temp pretty quickly toward freezing.  By 3 is 32 ... 32.01 as Ray muses from time to time. The sky had changed texture. By 4, it was strato-streets visibly moving N with extreme rapidity...  35.   The cafeteria below Smith Hall opened for dinner at 5:30.  I was sitting there eating, and the bushes immediately outside the window were suddenly whipping around.  By then I knew this was the warm boundary...  At some point between 4:30 and 5:30 ( I had stopped paying attention out of resentment, ha) it came through and leaned tree tops over. When I stepped out shortly after 6, the night setting was sounds of turbines pushing 60 air up and over snow banks, that were sending Kelvin Hemholtz steam plumes rollin' down wind..  The air smelled like summer.  I think it was Friday... and the campus came to life. Students spilled out of dorms because ... I guess going from 9 to 62 musta been tee-shirt weather for lacking acclimation.

Sparing furthering misery of that anecdote, ...last year's Grinch storm?  Same... Huge snow pack.  Pretty chilly ( though not 9 ) the day before... Completely naked and no defense to a full latitude trough moving E across the country.

This is not like those.

• Like 3