Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

Just now, jbenedet said:

Now queue up the list of imbeciles who will interpret this as "so you're saying it will never snow in eastern southern New England bc of SST's?!"

Of course not-- just more needs to go "right".

It's a gift and a curse. The right storm could go batshit crazy and drop widespread 30-40"+ totals eventually. 

That's still possible next 2 weeks as pattern remains favorable. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Good post about the CIPS grouping for this storm...  I tend to not get overly frustrated or pissed off when a storm does not play-out the way I envisioned or forecast... I've been doing this for too many years to get emotionally involved or bitch when a storm forecast trends away from my original thoughts.  But this storm, or should I say the modeling trends, have managed to pissed me off a bit.  I do a lot of analog assessment (CIPS & Kocin storms) when a major storm seems to have a chance of developing for the Northeast; in particular SNE.   This one is frustrating for the reasons you outlined above.  The modeled forecasts for this storm just do not follow the history of upper air / surface setups like this?  If you go look at the Feb. 14-17, 1958 event, it is almost a perfect overlay at 500 mb & sfc to what is now underway.  The CIPS analogs are remarkably consistent in their assessment of what the vast number of similar setups produced.   I have rarely seen (probably never) an analog storm pattern show such different outcomes compared to the current suite of modeling, and I find it a bit unsettling.  In the back of my mind, I almost expect there to be a flip back closer to the analog outcome.  But then I come back to reality and don't see any positive trends on the major modeling trends.   This system appears to be one that will almost completely break away from where my analog method steered me... 

Yeah well said....It's amazing that not a SINGLE analog is as far west as the current storm on guidance....but guidance is in such good agreement, you can't go against it at this lead time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Why? Because the HP retreated instead of staying anchored?  Yea ok.

But the surface HP would not have been stronger, and therefore "more anchored" if SST's were near normal?

It's an important factor for eastern new England and especially the coastal plain.

But one amongst many.

The end.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah well said....It's amazing that not a SINGLE analog is as far west as the current storm on guidance....but guidance is in such good agreement, you can't go against it at this lead time.

Well at least it's fixing that problem for the next one.