Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

30 minutes ago, ariof said:

I think that was more of a "no one believes this" but yes it was forecast several days out. The numbers kept going up, I too remember 6-12" the night before (afternoon high of 63) and 10-14" the morning of. I think it took some time to change over on the coast, KBOS only reported 3" on the 31st but MQE had 15". Yeah climo would not suggest 2'+ that time of year.

If it happened today this site would mostly be posts about sun angle.

As I was driving home on the snowy afternoon of 3/31/97, forecasters in Maine were predicting an SNE paste bomb for the next day.  (We were toward the end of 7.5" from a different system.)

I'll never again see a positive bust like April 1982.  CAR forecast of 20s/windy/flurries the evening of 4/6 turned into 26.3", their biggest on record at the time and still in 4th place.  Nice late shift to the west!

Sugarloaf 4/17/07 snow has no problem accumulating with a high sun angle if it snows hard enough. 

Only 5.2" here but also 5" cold RA.  16th had 35/31 with 3.38" precip and 1.2" snow.  No surprise the 'Loaf got bombed, especially near the summit.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tamarack said:

As I was driving home on the snowy afternoon of 3/31/97, forecasters in Maine were predicting an SNE paste bomb for the next day.  (We were toward the end of 7.5" from a different system.)

I'll never again see a positive bust like April 1982.  CAR forecast of 20s/windy/flurries the evening of 4/6 turned into 26.3", their biggest on record at the time and still in 4th place.  Nice late shift to the west!

Sugarloaf 4/17/07 snow has no problem accumulating with a high sun angle if it snows hard enough. 

Only 5.2" here but also 5" cold RA.  16th had 35/31 with 3.38" precip and 1.2" snow.  No surprise the 'Loaf got bombed, especially near the summit.

Sugarloaf summit snow depth was ridiculously deep. 97" of snow at Sugarloaf summit in April of 2007.

1749562752_Buriedsign(1).jpg.66fc88d9c12e247641ea2d21d6a2b4b2.jpg

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Yup. Miller classification is an oversimplified binary classification system from the 1940s. There's no deep meaning behind it. This was before the satellite era. Meteorological analysis is much more sophisticated these days (outside this forum).

Funny I find no better place to discuss.  Perhaps you and Rotary Phone Chris can start your own forum 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

A few years ago mentioned the tremendous skiing at Wildcat the weekend after that final big dump in April 07 but as they normally do late season they were closing mid-week. All the Wildcat skiing staff couldn't wait to close and drive to SLoaf to ski for the week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Look at the GFS lol, good luck figuring that one out. Tomorrow's storm and now this is loaded with convective issues it seems.

I'd take that snowfall map.

But, yeah, there's a long way to go with this one.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Interesting 

gfs_mslp_wind_neus_16.png

"We have all been here before."
"Move along, there's nothing to see here."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Disregarded for now.

The Jan 05th for Jan 11 2011 thread is a total hoot. The more things change the more they stay the same. Funny comment from Ryan, chastised Mike Wankum for putting out totals 60 hrs before. Now that has certainly changed from the top down.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

So you're saying its going to track further west than modeled once it doesn't chase the offshore mesolows?

I'm not sure it makes a huge difference south of the Pike... but farther north if you do have a mesolow or some weakness offshore you might be able to hold some boundary layer chill a bit longer.