Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep....how many times over the years (even in biggies like Feb 2013) did the models over-phase the streams? We've seen plenty of times where the southern ends up a little faster and the phase happens later than originally modeled. Doesn't mean it will happen this time, but it's a more realistic scenario than hoping for the northern stream to come in weaker....in my experience, the northern stream will probably come in stronger when sampled.

Yeah...as strong as that southern system is the northern stream looks just as potent. It's like 2 huge planets on the same thread of space-time and when they get close enough they just want to go binary.

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

Still feel a moderate event is possible for most of SNE.   If just one of those questionable parameters are off a bit, strength of shortwaves, timing, high to the north, this changes the outcome obviously.     

But Is this the monster it was touted a few days ago…no. It’s become(at least currently) much more tame.  

When was it touted a monster?  

I dunno - the thread was headlined with these sentiments,

"Confidence grows for a moderate to major, low latitude transferring Miller B/ Miller A hybrid then  gets foisted up the coast as a "hook low" 

*However* with such a high upside I feel monitoring is necessary..    ... confidence remains less than medium.  It's an important storm - how much impact and where, TBD. "

Not sure that confers 'monster' but whatever.

Frankly nothing's really changed LOL...  Think about it, I mean... doesn't that rather aptly describe where we are at right now, still at 96 to 108 hours lead?  

It's like NBA basketball games... Watch the first 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes - that's all one needs.  'Course, that takes the d-drip journey away, just sayn'.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

"Confidence grows for a moderate to major, low latitude transferring Miller B/ Miller A hybrid then  gets foisted up the coast as a "hook low" 

*However* with such a high upside I feel monitoring is necessary..    ... confidence remains less than medium.  It's an important storm - how much impact and where, TBD. "

Frankly nothing's really changed LOL...  Think about it, I mean... doesn't that rather aptly describe where we are at right now, still at 96 to 108 hours lead?  

It's like NBA basketball games... What the first 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes - that's all one needs.  'Course, that takes the d-drip journey away, just sayn'.

I don’t know….you had things in there that this had been showing up out in the distance like 3/93 1/96 etc etc…. And Those were monsters.    

And that the precip field on this thing is gonna be so Expansive, that it could start quite a bit earlier than progged due to the size of the precip shield. That sounds like a monster to me.   But maybe I got the wrong idea from your ideas? 

image.thumb.png.773f833997f637e9b62f40f32d960f1f.pngThis isn’t a great look at the moment but it’s a lot better than it looked yesterday. I see 3 lows, 1 inland low 1 to the south west and most importantly, a 996 mb low to the southeast! I don’t remember seeing that yesterday, that’s exactly what I was hoping to see, as it looks like the main low running inland is all but inevitable. In my opinion this puts even eastern areas in the game for big snows even if it does eventually change over to a mix then rain. I love seeing this, it looks like the storm is evolving into a Miller B, if we can get that southern low to strengthen faster and take over quicker, this gets really interesting. We can already see that it is snowing east of the primary in central NY. The Berkshires are way east of the main low, yet it’s still snowing. That tells me the low to the southeast is already having a major influence on the rain snow line. Whether it’s all snow, rain, or a mix, this is going to be a big storm and someone, likely NW areas and areas with elevation are going to get hammered.

Disclaimer: "asking for a friend"... Longtime mostly lurker will be in Whiteface Mountain area Sunday- Thursday if "my friend" chooses to drive up.  We are low on snowpack there for sure. Safe to say that area of northern "Dacks is in a good spot for 6-12", given variables?   Appreciate learned opinions or heckling! 

21 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I don’t know….you had things in there that this had been showing up out in the distance like 3/93 1/96 etc etc…. And Those were monsters.    

And that the precip field on this thing is gonna be so Expansive, that it could start quite a bit earlier than progged due to the size of the precip shield. That sounds like a monster to me.   But maybe I got the wrong idea from your ideas? 

Yeah ...the reference to those dates wasn't in deference/context that way - ..interesting interpretation, tho -

It was written in black and white 'medium to major,' first, in bold, and that impact was 'TBD'      The references to those dates was not a context for assigning to this one, those as analogs.  No -

Like I said.. .whatever -

I think the bigger aspect of interest is that those sentiments originally put forth are still where we are at some 70 page later - that's funny.

40 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's like NBA basketball games... What the first 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes - that's all one needs.  'Course, that takes the d-drip journey away, just sayn'.

Too many folks are so busy comparing the minor nuisances of every 6-hour model run that they don't take the time to read and comprehend a very clear-cut statement!  Nothing in your original headline & post suggested you were screaming "here comes the monster"...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1