• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

That's essentially a wash with 06z GFS....there are some really minor differences, but not worth getting out an electron microscope to analyze a 90-96 hour solution. We had counter-acting trends on that run aloft...we had better confluence holding to out north and east, but the southern shortwave was a tad slower that run which allowed it to amplify and "Catch up" to the 06z run later on...I think some spots further south were a little colder this run too, but again, small differences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's essentially a wash with 06z GFS....there are some really minor differences, but not worth getting out an electron microscope to analyze a 90-96 hour solution. We had counter-acting trends on that run aloft...we had better confluence holding to out north and east, but the southern shortwave was a tad slower that run which allowed it to amplify and "Catch up" to the 06z run later on...I think some spots further south were a little colder this run too, but again, small differences.

I thought the same. Better confluence, but srn vort slower. Although it was trying to figure out which secondary to use.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I thought the same. Better confluence, but srn vort slower. Although it was trying to figure out which secondary to use.

If we can have that southern stream bulge out to the east a bit, we can prob redevelop a mid-level center. You can almost see this happening on the GFS at 96 hours....look at that kink in the 700mb heights and how it's even seen a little bit at H5....if we can have that poking east just a bit even if the actual H5 center is further west, then that would help a lot

Jan13_12zGFS96.png

• Like 4

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

If we can have that southern stream bulge out to the east a bit, we can prob redevelop a mid-level center. You can almost see this happening on the GFS at 96 hours....look at that kink in the 700mb heights and how it's even seen a little bit at H5....if we can have that poking east just a bit even if the actual H5 center is further west, then that would help a lot

Jan13_12zGFS96.png

that's what those flatter heights did for us right? NAM did have a ton of confluence

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

Bob Turk said he is going to have a couple of sleepless nights figuring out the rain/snow line thru Baltimore. He works Sunday night. Good luck down there. Where is your place? NE Maryland I think?

Yeah, NE MD. It's always a battleground zone in these events.

Depending on how this breaks it could be 8 inches or 1 inch within a few miles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JC-CT said:

that's what those flatter heights did for us right? NAM did have a ton of confluence

Yeah it kind of starts compressing those lows as they gain latitude....we want to see those compressed and elongating more E-W....if H5 starts elongating E-W, then it will try and produce a redeveloping ML center to the east. Even if the eastern ML center doesn't become dominant before reaching us, just having it develop will help a lot as it will slow down the WAA.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it kind of starts compressing those lows as they gain latitude....we want to see those compressed and elongating more E-W....if H5 starts elongating E-W, then it will try and produce a redeveloping ML center to the east. Even if the eastern ML center doesn't become dominant before reaching us, just having it develop will help a lot as it will slow down the WAA.

What's interesting is it looks like that is the main driver of the favorable mslp on the 6z GEFS. They didn't go all that far east down by VA, but once they hit 40N it looks like they got squeezed east.

8 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Bob Turk said he is going to have a couple of sleepless nights figuring out the rain/snow line thru Baltimore. He works Sunday night. Good luck down there. Where is your place? NE Maryland I think?

Bob Turk!?!?!?  He's still alive lol?????  He was my go to weather forecaster when I grew up in Baltimore.  I was there from 1969-1985.  Loved me some Bob Turk!!!!!  He seemed old when I was a kid lol, but I guess all adults seem old when your young.  On another note, love the .5-2.2" precip gradient in Albany County.  GFS hittin that orographic bong hard!    My biggest fear in the Hudson Valley with these types of lows.