Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Flatten everything and it probably would head east. But I don't know if a weaker wave coupled with a really strong northern stream digging would help any. 

So, if the wave(southern stream) is stronger, it will be able to carry itself further east, before the potent northern stream dives into it, and stalls it out and turns it north?  Am I visualizing that phasing scenario correctly?  

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

So, if the wave(southern stream) is stronger, it will be able to carry itself further east, before the potent northern stream dives into it, and stalls it out and turns it north?  Am I visualizing that phasing scenario correctly?  

More or less. It just allows them to remain separate longer. 

Now we are actually getting some sounding data from the open ocean, so it's not a black box this time around. They were ingested into the 00z GFS.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

More or less. It just allows them to remain separate longer. 

Now we are actually getting some sounding data from the open ocean, so it's not a black box this time around. They were ingested into the 00z GFS.

Why did the GEFS go east so much with that new data?

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Right, but wouldn't the OP go east, too then?

That's why this is done with the ensembles more so than the deterministic runs. Because you get a stronger wave through many runs and on average the mean shifts east. But the deterministic could have one weird moose fart that leads to a poor solution locally. 

• Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

My call remains upper cape..like Falmouth..maybe canal

I hope you are right, If it goes over the cape that puts interior se ma in the game for big snows as well. Even on the runs with a well inland track, for areas NW of the low even just like 5-10 miles are getting hammered with big snows. Didn’t one of the storms (I forget which one) in January 2011 have a low track over that area, and the rain snow line was confined to just NW of the canal?

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Thanks so much, Chris...learn a ton from your insight. 

Expect a canal census to emerge.

6 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Yup same here for me too..very informative. Appreciate it. 

I try but honestly I even have to review the literature every once and a while to remember what things mean. All I know is the days of analyzing a single model run in the extended are long gone (or should be). Just a ton of data to be gleaned from the ensembles now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I try but honestly I even have to review the literature every once and a while to remember what things mean. All I know is the days of analyzing a single model run in the extended are long gone (or should be). Just a ton of data to be gleaned from the ensembles now.

So it’s not just us weenies being slapped in the head with information overload.

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

So it’s not just us weenies being slapped in the head with information overload.

My reaction always seems to be WTF. Shift of tails, ensemble sensitivity, etc. It all sounds made up. But once I did some training on it, they're really powerful tools. 

There's so much more than the mean. The mean may be a good forecast starting point, but some of these other tools can tell you whether you can honk or head home.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, George001 said:

I hope you are right, If it goes over the cape that puts interior se ma in the game for big snows as well. Even on the runs with a well inland track, for areas NW of the low even just like 5-10 miles are getting hammered with big snows. Didn’t one of the storms (I forget which one) in January 2011 have a low track over that area, and the rain snow line was confined to just NW of the canal?

Yea, the blizzard, I think.

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

My reaction always seems to be WTF. Shift of tails, ensemble sensitivity, etc. It all sounds made up. But once I did some training on it, they're really powerful tools. 

There's so much more than the mean. The mean may be a good forecast starting point, but some of these other tools can tell you whether you can honk or head home.

Why do you think the GEPS didn't change?

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Why do you think the GEPS didn't change?

Looking at the 12z GEPS sensitivity it didn't really have a coherent pattern to follow until like 36-48 hours from now. It seems to be more northern stream dominant, like way up in northern Alaska right now northern. 

• Like 1