Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

One reason to remain somewhat optimistic for more snow is that the antecedent airmass is strong, so if that high holds on just a shade longer, you prob get disproportional return on the snowfall in the positive direction. You can even see it on the some of the ensemble members. Some of the ones that hold onto the high just a smidge more thump 8-12" in a pretty large area over SNE.

lol

4SbsIyx.png

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

One reason to remain somewhat optimistic for more snow is that the antecedent airmass is strong, so if that high holds on just a shade longer, you prob get disproportional return on the snowfall in the positive direction. You can even see it on the some of the ensemble members. Some of the ones that hold onto the high just a smidge more thump 8-12" in a pretty large area over SNE.

probably why the WPC snow progs for 4+ look good all the way from VA up to EMA

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yup.  I said this to the NYC forum...the position of the high too is not terrible if the system is taking say a 190-010 trajectory up the coast...you can hold an 040-060 wind if that high slows down on its departure just a tad.   

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Rays Narcan map even had half a foot here 

• Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Can someone explain what causes the LP to jump in an almost NW direction from the NC coast? Ive literally never seen that track when the LP starts out so far south. Does the northern stream phase too early and pull the LP inland?

4 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

Can someone explain what causes the LP to jump in an almost NW direction from the NC coast? Ive literally never seen that track when the LP starts out so far south. Does the northern stream phase too early and pull the LP inland?

Early February 2010 was the classic example.  The final insult to us New Englanders that year.  Hempstead might have done well on that, I don't recall.  The wildest thing about that storm was that Byram, a neighborhood in the far SW corner of Greenwich CT, got 19", while downtown Greenwich, 3 miles away, got 7".  Yikes.

• Like 1

The lowest Euro ensemble mean pressure looks displaced someone East of where I'd eyeball the center point of the individual lows, I think some of the lows that hug the coast may be stronger (baroclinicity between CAD and warm oceans?) and displaces the lowest mean pressure from the average location of the ensemble lows.

11 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

Usually we see phasing trend a touch "sloppier" in the nearer term, which would actually work to our advantage here...but knowing this season, the two TV's will fit like a glove in this case, since that works against us.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

Early February 2010 was the classic example.  The final insult to us New Englanders that year.  Hempstead might have done well on that, I don't recall.  The wildest thing about that storm was that Byram, a neighborhood in the far SW corner of Greenwich CT, got 19", while downtown Greenwich, 3 miles away, got 7".  Yikes.

I believe that was the late month retro that slammed eastern NE with wind and rain. Like Burlington was raining while NYC piled up snow. Watching that rain snow line edge east in CT was incredibly protracted and painful. 

2 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

The lowest Euro ensemble mean pressure looks displaced someone East of where I'd eyeball the center point of the individual lows, I think some of the lows that hug the coast may be stronger (baroclinicity between CAD and warm oceans?) and displaces the lowest mean pressure from the average location of the ensemble lows.

The couple well east don't phase, which skews the mean.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I believe that was the late month retro that slammed eastern NE with wind and rain. Like Burlington was raining while NYC piled up snow. Watching that rain snow line edge east in CT was incredibly protracted and painful. 

Yes we did extremely well in NYC area bu that storm came in off the ocean and then turned NW once it was north of LI (sort of cut through CT) very bizarre and rare.. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If this high could just hold some ground, it would be almost like a SWFE.

It’s not super far from being a 12/16/07 type coastal. If you recall, that was originally supposed to track into BUF but the high got better and eventually we got a triple point over SE MA…and of course the big snow thump. 

• Like 2